- Intro to creating worlds
- Thinking about the story of a land
- Exercise 1: Your own land
- The theme of a land
- Exercise 2: Theme
- Exercise 3: Layout
- Designing buildings for a land
- Exercise 4: Building design
- Exercise 5: Landscape and plant life design
- Exercise 6: Materials
- Exercise 7: Graphics and color
- Exercise 8: Sound design
- Taste and Smell
- Exercise 9: Design a menu
- Mood board
- Exercise 10: Mood board
Exercise 6: Materials
What is your land made of?
Exercise 6: Materials
Activity: Create a collage of material references for the surfaces in your land. You can do this physically or virtually. It should contain images of every surface you can think of: roofs, floors, doors, interior/exterior walls and even small details such as door handles. Try to find at least 5 reference images for your collage.
Show this collage to a friend (or family member) and ask them what they can guess about your land from these materials (such as the time period, location and story).
- Did their ideas match your vision?
- If there were differences, what details might you change to better reflect your story?
Want to join the conversation?
- Wood, wood, more wood, asphalt, wood, fiberglass, wood, steel, wood, concrete, wood, rock, wood, and did I mention wood?(43 votes)
- That's a lot of wood!(2 votes)
- wood, rocks and wool, like a medieval time, but what about a dragon?(10 votes)
- you could use metal to do a dragon like you'll see in Universal. The metal can be easily spray painted vibrant colors and it lasts for a while.(2 votes)
- Since I am doing a floating island, I would do glass floors, maybe acrylic, to see the scenery below. I would use a titanium-reinforced dome with glass that generates electricity from the UV rays from the sun, but still lets light through, creating an energy source, as well as an awesome view.(6 votes)
- so what city or fantasy world is your floating island going to be from(0 votes)
- rock, clay, brick, concrete, steel, metal, copper, wood, plastic, glass, silver, iron.(4 votes)
- Are we supposed to create a real mini version of the land or just like a collage? I do not really know, but I think I will create a mini land of my imagination anyway.(3 votes)
- It would be fun to make a mini version. What I’m doing is I’m going to make this world on Minecraft(3 votes)
- What if you already told them what your land was?
Then they couldn't guess for the exercise.(3 votes)
- Maybe find new people then.(1 vote)
- I would use rocks to put on the ground and some iron/steel to make spaceships, framing, and roller coaster tracks and carts. I would also use some brick and some of the materials they listed to make fake wood. I would probably also use some glass. I might use bulletproof glass instead of the glass that can be broken incredibly easily, to make it last longer and also stop theft and vandalism. I also might use some gravel for the pathways.(3 votes)
- i am going to use cobwebs and remote control spiders and place them at different locations at different levels and a robot is going to control them . there are going to be cracked windows and wood painted so that it looks old and creepy(3 votes)
- I would like to use stones and clay to make things look realistic. I will also paint cardboard so I can use it for my buildings.(2 votes)
- Cardboard gets soaked in the rain and it will eventually get sogy...(2 votes)
- I would use more clay and rocks and even coals to better reflect my galaxy idea.(2 votes)