Components of blood
What is blood?
- Plasma is the main component of blood and consists mostly of water, with proteins, ions, nutrients, and wastes mixed in.
- Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen and carbon dioxide.
- Platelets are responsible for blood clotting.
- White blood cells are part of the immune system and function in immune response.
Red blood cells
Platelets and clotting
White blood cells
- One group, the granulocytes, includes neutrophils, eosinophils, and basophils, all of which have granules in their cytoplasm when stained and viewed on a microscope.
- The other group, the agranulocytes, includes monocytes and lymphocytes, which do not have granules in the cytoplasm.