Big History Project
- ACTIVITY: DQ Notebook 4.1
- WATCH: What Was The Young Earth Like?
- WATCH: Earth and the Early Atmosphere
- ACTIVITY: Infographic — Chemical Abundances: Earth’s Crust
- ACTIVITY: Infographic — Chemical Abundances: The Sun
- ACTIVITY: Infographic — Chemical Abundances: The Universe
- ACTIVITY: This Threshold Today
- ACTIVITY: Evaluating Writing
- Quiz: What Was Young Earth Like?
ACTIVITY: Evaluating Writing
This activity asks you to download and evaluate “Early Earth,” a sample Big History essay, using the same rubric Big History uses to grade writing. The goal of this activity is to familiarize you with the rubric by having you practice using it on a sample paper. It should also help you think more carefully about what should be included in the essays you write.
Download and review the Big History Writing Rubric. In the Big History course, all writing is evaluated in four different categories. Read the descriptions of the standards for each category.
Once you have reviewed the rubric, read “Early Earth.” When you’ve finished reading the essay, evaluate it using the blank version of the rubric, which is attached to the Writing Rubric document. Focus on one category at a time and take the following approach: Reread the general description of the category—the column furthest to the left. Then, reread the descriptions of each standard for that category. Decide which standard for the category you think best describes the essay. Once you decide, mark the appropriate box on the rubric with an “X” and write a brief comment somewhere in that row—it can be on either side of the “X.”
For Further Discussion
In the Questions Area below, list the following:
1. The score from one row of the rubric (be sure to post which row).
2. Helpful suggestions for the author. If the author could do one thing to improve the score in that row, what advice would you give?
Want to join the conversation?
- how did you get a picture of that(1 vote)
- Language and Conventions: Approaching standard.
Suggestion: The author could have used a little formality in the writing.
Nevertheless, It was a good essay. One can store it future purpose too. Keep it up.(1 vote)
- I wonder if the earth we’ll go back to its state for beginning...(0 votes)
- Will the earth ever go back to the way that it was?(0 votes)
- will the earth be surrounded by ice ever again or does global warming perminately change it.(0 votes)
- No, it could still go back into a snowball. Too much CO2 could technically cause the cycle to repeat by removing all animals, so global warming could technically cause the snowball! (I mean that it could start the process in which a frozen earth could emerge.)(1 vote)
- i wonder if the earth will explode when time ends(0 votes)