Big History Project
- ACTIVITY: DQ Notebook 4.1
- WATCH: What Was The Young Earth Like?
- WATCH: Earth and the Early Atmosphere
- ACTIVITY: Infographic — Chemical Abundances: Earth’s Crust
- ACTIVITY: Infographic — Chemical Abundances: The Sun
- ACTIVITY: Infographic — Chemical Abundances: The Universe
- ACTIVITY: This Threshold Today
- ACTIVITY: Evaluating Writing
- Quiz: What Was Young Earth Like?
ACTIVITY: This Threshold Today
This Threshold Today activities ask you to make connections between today’s world and the events of each threshold. In Threshold 4, it is important and interesting to know that the process of accretion not only led to the formation of our planet, but provided all of the natural resources we continue to draw from today.
The formation of the Earth roughly 4.6 billion years ago was a violent process. Scientists are continually learning more about planet formation in our Solar System as well as in other solar systems. You can join in this process by searching for news stories about solar systems or exoplanets. Record your sources and some of the details about what you discover. Check out Newsela.com for great articles, or look at the Pinterest board Newsela set up on this topic.
Here are some other places to get started with your research:
For Further Discussion
In the Questions Area below, please do the following:
1. Post a link to the article that you found most interesting.
2. List one way that the article connects Threshold 4 to today.
3. Comment on someone else’s link, adding another way that their article connects Threshold 4 to today.
Be sure to check back later to see if anyone commented on your post!
Want to join the conversation?
This is related to Threshold 4 in that it addresses the Goldilocks conditions required to support life on a planet. The planet has water and heat from their sun that mirrors our own.(4 votes)
- This also relates because it tells hoe they found another planet possibly capible of having living life.(1 vote)
- How do you know how the solar system looks like when it was forming?(0 votes)
- People don't really know.(1 vote)