The 19th century was a wild ride for art! Artists started to break away from traditional styles and experimented with new techniques and subjects. They painted everyday life, and even their feelings! This was a big change and it paved the way for modern art. Created by Nancy Ross.
Want to join the conversation?
- At4:59I saw The Wave. I have seen this painting many times in restaraunts and on notebooks. Is there a specific reason that this painting is so famous?(13 votes)
- The way these blocks are made requires a highly skilled artist. Imagine that each color is a layer that is added to the print. Each "layer" was carved onto wood, then painted and stamped on the material (silk, cotton, etc.). If you have 3 colors, then you have to carve 3 extremely precise and accurate blocks to paint paint on the final material. The Wave has about 6 or 7 colors. Also notice the incredible amount of detail for some of the colors (most notably the white). This style of wood blocks is called ukiyo-e. Look into it, it's pretty fascinating.(18 votes)
- Can we say that Symbolism existed ever since the beginning of art and not just beginning from the 19th century?(8 votes)
- Why did they make a lot of women naked or topless? I do not see nearly as many men naked as in the other ones. What happened? Was it to make art more appealing? Was it a new style? What happened?(6 votes)
- For a majority of human history, woman were seen as lesser in many ways; less intelligent most of all, therefore unable to do what men do. And as men controlled society, and a majority of men are attracted to women, women were very often sexualised. The only merits of women were to have children and look pretty, which is why women, nude or clothed, dominate as art subjects in art history. Art History Basics has an article about women in art history, if you're interested.(6 votes)
- He says van gogh was in the hospital when he painted 'starry night,. Why was he in the hospital? I know he had mental problems was that why?(3 votes)
- Yes, because of his mental illness. He created starry night while he was a self-admitted patient at the Saint-Paul asylum in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.(4 votes)
- Post-Impressionism is not actually an "art movement" as stated here. Rather, it is simply a period after Impressionism when various artists began experimenting by combining
various styles and influences into unique personal styles.(3 votes)
- Who is Dr. Nancy Ross? Don't mean to be too off topic.(2 votes)
- What is the song that starts playing at2:10? I know its from a romantic composer but I've forgotten the name.(2 votes)
- Does anyone know who draws in these videos they are soooo good(1 vote)
- why did the captain of the medusa abandon them, and on what?(1 vote)