Pixar in a Box
- Start here!
- 1. Creating objects
- 2. Representing a shape object in code
- Rigging a snowman 1 (building the body)
- 3. Putting shapes together
- Rigging a snowman 2 (adding a head)
- Rigging a snowman 3 (adding a hat)
- 4. Functions
- 5. Defining deformer functions in code
- Rigging a snowman 4 (coding deformers)
- 6. Connecting deformers and shapes with code
- Rigging a snowman 5 (adding and updating deformers)
- Project: Create your own character
- Project 2: Animate your character
Introduction to this lesson
Ready to dive into some code?
You will be filling in some important pieces of a much larger program in this lesson—similar to how people work with software at Pixar.
Overview of lesson
First, you'll build some circles using objects.
Then you'll combine your various shapes in an array of objects.
Finally you'll write deformer functions so that you can move your model around.
By the end, you'll be ready for the final project!
What do you need to know before starting?
- If you've never programmed anything before, we recommend going through our Intro to JS course to learn the concepts of variables, arrays, functions, and objects. And, of course, come back here when you're ready!
- If you've programmed before but not on Khan Academy, we recommend getting comfortable with our environment first by creating a new program here.
- If you've learned programming here on Khan Academy, perfect! Just review the concepts below and refresh yourself on any skills you're rusty on.
- This lesson touches on math concepts—equations for geometric transformations—appropriate for grade eight and above. You can review this concept in our sets and staging lesson.
Quick review of programming concepts you'll use
- This creates a variable called which stores the value .
- This creates an array called which stores three values .
- holds the value .
- This creates a function called that will output the text at the screen coordinates when it's called.
- This function now has two input parameters, and , to define the coordinates of the text.
- This creates an empty object called .
- The object now contains three properties: and . The third property of is an array called .
Want to join the conversation?
- all these comments are from 3 years ago im in the pandemic(16 votes)
- Well, I am 2 years after u! The pandemic is like done now.(3 votes)
- I am in 8 th grade and i have no idea still how to do this(2 votes)
- U can start back in the JS intro on KA, and that will help u understand it all!(1 vote)
- My gosh. This looks difficult. Has anyone been able to attempt and achieve this? I am not very good at understanding this set of instructions.(1 vote)
- I have, although it took me up to 1 hour and a half :((2 votes)
- how can we get in touch in other places(1 vote)
- im in the 10th grade(1 vote)
- heres how i talk(1 vote)
- and i still dont know how to do this(1 vote)
- We need lessons for blender(1 vote)
- how do i create boo from monsters inc(0 votes)