How can we increase the strength of a bar magnet using a piece of steel? Why is it stronger? Created by Brit Cruise.
Want to join the conversation?
- Why does the strength of the magnet increase when the piece of steel is added?(34 votes)
- It's not clear that that's the only reason. All we know is that the force of attraction between the magnet and the bar is stronger than the attraction between the magnet and the handle. The bar could be made out of metal that is more attracted to the magnet than the metal that the handle is made out of.(14 votes)
- how does attaching the metal thing to the magnet make it stronger and able to lift a heavy bucket when you can pull it off with your hand?(6 votes)
- Well, for starters, the "metal thing" adds a base. It makes it easier for him to grab the pail.
ex: a water well without the string.(3 votes)
- How i increase a magnet power(3 votes)
- In the case of the video, notice how the u-shaped magnet was only contacting a small part of the buckets handle. Also remember that the handle is a curved surface. So this creates a weak contact point. Very little of the magnets surface is in contact with the metal.
@0:47When the metal plate is attached under the u magnet making a ring it has the best possible contact making a very strong contact point. Just by changing how we are using a magnet we can get more "power" from it. But the magnet itself doesn't get any stronger.
So how can we make a stronger magnet if just changing the way we use the magnet isn't enough? We can use electromagnets to create a variable magnetic strength. Otherwise you need to buy stronger magnets, like neodymium magnets or better, and use those. The magnet in the video is already quite strong for its size.
neodymium magnets ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet )(4 votes)
- can you explain what is happening in the video?
how does the steel affect the magnet and make it strong?(2 votes)
- When a metal slab is attached to the magnet the magnet is using its entire surface area to connect to the slab. When it is attached to the handle of the bucket it uses only a tiny bit of its surface area as the handle is quite thin. When the magnet is using its entire surface area it is stronger, therefore when a metal slab is attached it can hold the full weight of the bucket. It is not able to do so when connected directly to the thin handle.(2 votes)
- why does the magnet always attract objects(1 vote)
- It doesn't. If the object has the same charge as the closest end of the magnet, it will be repelled.(2 votes)
- Sir does a magnet get powerful when kept in contact with another magnet? Or does it loose its magnetic property.
I want to increase the strenght of a ring magnet. If i keep it in contact with another magnet will its strenght increase or decrease?
Sir, is there any other way to increase the strenght of the magnet. Please suggest.(1 vote)
[This video contains no audio narrations.] PROBLEM: How to make stronger.