Review your understanding of humans and ecosystems in this free article aligned to NGSS standards.
- Humans get many benefits from Earth’s ecosystems. These benefits are called ecosystem services.
- There are four types of ecosystem services:
- Provisioning ecosystem services are the resources that people extract from ecosystems. These include foods and drinking water.
- Regulating ecosystem services are all the processes that keep ecosystems healthy. These include fungi decomposing waste and tree roots preventing erosion.
- Supporting ecosystem services are the foundational processes that underlie all life on Earth. These include photosynthesis and the water cycle.
- Cultural ecosystem services are the ways that ecosystems benefit people’s lives and traditions. For example, many people have a religious or cultural connection to an ecosystem. Ecosystems also provide inspiration, fun, and a sense of well-being.
- A loss of biodiversity can make ecosystems less healthy. This can make it harder for people to get the resources and ecosystem services they need.
A woman climbing the side of a mountain.
Want to join the conversation?
- How do trees prevent erosions?(2 votes)
- The trees roots block off the area for erosion to happen, and it sucks up water so there is less chance for erosion.(5 votes)
- How can tree roots prevent erosion?(0 votes)
- Tree root systems help reduce erosion by holding soil in place. Even after being cut, the roots attached to the stump help stabilize soil for years. Reducing risk of landslides.(7 votes)
- how can roots protect the earth(0 votes)
- roots in a tree are what help it stay healthy and keeps/help us humans to breath trees are very important on the earth trees are also a source of food for almost all animals and humans hope that helped(3 votes)