MAP Recommended Practice
- Converting percents to decimals & fractions example
- Converting between percents, fractions, & decimals
- Convert percents to fractions
- Convert fractions to percents
- Converting decimals to percents: 0.601
- Converting decimals to percents: 1.501
- Convert decimals to percents
- Converting percents to decimals: 59.2%
- Converting percents to decimals: 113.9%
- Convert percents to decimals
- Converting percents and fractions review
- Converting decimals and percents review
Converting percents to decimals: 59.2%
Decimals can be written in percent form. Per-cent means per-100. So, we multiply the decimal by 100 to get an equivalent percent. Then, we add a percent sign (%). For example, 0.8 can be converted to percent form by solving 0.8✕100. So, 0.8=80%. Another way to think of multiplying by 100 is moving the decimal two places to the right. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- What if you have to move the decimal places twice and the number is 5.67?(98 votes)
- Did you mean converting from decimals to percents, or from percents to decimals?
5.67 = 567%
But, 5.67% = 0.0567(52 votes)
- so you just move the decimal point, right?(4 votes)
- to convert a percent into a decimal, you divide by 100. to convert a decimal to a percent, multiply by 100. Just move the decimal point for every 0. To divide, move the decimal point to the left for every zero. to multiply move the decimal point to the right. for example, 10 x 3.456= 34.56 and 345.6 divided by 10 is 34.56. hope that makes sense!(4 votes)
- Is it the same when converting a decimal into a percent and a percent to a decimal? Thanks!(1 vote)
- To convert a decimal to a percent move the decimal 2 places to the right.
0.5 = 50%
1.25 = 125%
0.0166 = 1.66%
To convert a percent into a decimal just do the inverse, move the decimal 2 places to the left.(9 votes)
- How do you express one as a percent?(3 votes)
- it would just be 100% as you'd move the decimal over twice(3 votes)
- Hello everyone! I get mixed up when it comes to making percentages from decimals and fractions(3 votes)
- How do you know when to divide by 100?(1 vote)
- A percent, by definition is a ratio (a fraction) with a denominator = 100.
Thus, any percent has a denominator of 100.
59.2% = 59.2/100
33% = 33/100
75% = 75/100
So, you can see, the division by 100 is based upon the definition of a percent. Any time you want to convert the percent to a decimal or a fraction, you are going to write in the denominator of 100 as your starting point. If you need a decimal, you will do the division. If you need a fraction, you will just simplify the fraction.
Hope this helps.(5 votes)
- I hate school but it helps me get smarter than i was before so it helps but it is boring!(3 votes)
- school is a good thing it is a gift of God because a lot of kids don't have any schooling at all, and if you don't have any school you can't get a job.(0 votes)
- So to turn the decimal back into a decimal, you have to mulitiply it by a 100 right?(2 votes)
- I think you mean: To turn the PERCENT back into a decimal you multiply by 100. That would be correct.(2 votes)
- What is 45.9% as a decimal? Does that even work? HELP!(2 votes)
- You do the same steps as shown in the video. Percents are ratios with a denominator of 100.
45.9% = 45.9/100
Then, do the division. Divide by 100 to get 0.459 as the decimal result.(2 votes)
- last year my teacher said to move the digets not the point because it makes more sense to move the digests than the decimal but I don't really understand why. which one do we move, the digets or the decimal point?(2 votes)
- My teacher said it doesn't matter and I agree : /
.5 You can turn .5 into a whole number if you move the five to the left. Its the same if you move the decimal to the right so I don't understand why some people say it makes more sense to do it one way or the other. Both ways make sense, you can do it either way.(2 votes)
Let's see if we can write 59.2%, if we can write this as a decimal. Well, 59.2%, this literally means 59.2 per cent, which literally means 59.2 per 100, which literally means 59.2 per 100, which is the same thing as 59.2 divided by 100. And If we were to divide 59.2 by 100, what would we get? So this is the same thing is 59.2 divided by 100. So if we were to take 59.2, if we wanted to divide it by 10, we would move the decimal over to the left once. We would get 5.92. But we want to divide it by 100, so we move the decimal over to the left again. We're dividing by 10 once, and then we're dividing by 10 again. Divide by 10 twice, you're essentially dividing by 100. So you move the decimal to the left twice, you get 0.592. And we'll just put a 0 out here just to clarify things. And we're done. We've written 59.2% as a decimal. We essentially just divided this by 100, which is dividing by 10 twice, moving the decimal once to the left, and then another time. Or since we're dividing by 100, moving the decimal twice to the left. And we get 0.592.