5th grade (Eureka Math/EngageNY)
- Converting units: minutes to hours
- Convert units of time
- Converting units: metric distance
- Converting units: centimeters to meters
- Convert units (metrics)
- Metric units of volume review (L and mL)
- Metric units of mass review (g and kg)
- Metric units of length review (mm, cm, m, & km)
- Converting units of time review (seconds, minutes, & hours)
- Converting units: US volume
- Same length in different units
- Convert units (US customary)
- Convert units word problems (metrics)
- US Customary units of volume review (c, pt, qt, & gal)
- US Customary units of weight review (oz & lb)
- US Customary units of length review (in, ft, yd, & mi)
- Time word problem: Susan's break
- Measurement word problem: tea party
- Convert units multi-step word problems (metric)
- Convert units word problems (US customary)
- Measurement word problem: blood drive
- Measurement word problem: distance home
- Measurement word problem: elevator
- Measurement word problem: running laps
Review the size of cups, pints, quarts, and gallons and how to convert between them. Then, try some practice problems.
Summary of customary units of volume
What is volume?
Volume measures capacity. For example, the volume of a bowl is the amount of space inside the bowl or how much water, for example it would take to fill the bowl.
In the US customary system of measurement, the most common units of volume are cups, pints, quarts and gallons.
How big are customary units of volume?
A juice box contains about cup of liquid.
A pint is equal to cups. A water bottle contains about pint of liquid.
A quart is equal to pints. A large shampoo bottle contains about quart of liquid.
A gallon is equal to quarts. A milk jug contains about gallon of liquid.
Want to learn more about customary units of volume? Check out this video.
Practice set 1: Estimating volume
Identify the most reasonable unit to measure the volume of a glass of orange juice.
A glass of orange juice.
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise,
Converting larger units to smaller units
To convert larger units to smaller units we multiply the number of larger units by the green conversion factor for the appropriate smaller units.
Example: Converting gallons to quarts
Example: Converting pints to cups
Converting smaller units to larger units
To convert smaller units to larger units we divide the number of smaller units by the purple conversion factor for the appropriate larger units.
Example: Converting pints to quarts
Want to learn more about converting between units of volume? Check out this video.
Want to join the conversation?
- How many pints are in a cup?(12 votes)
- 7fl oz = how many millimeters(4 votes)
- you cant convert fl oz. to millimeters, like you cant convert volume to length. fl oz. is a way of measuring volume, and millimeters is a way of measuring length. now you could say " how many millimeters is in a centimeter" (10) and people could answer that or " how many milliliters is in a liter" (1000) but you cant say " how many millimeters are in a fl oz. " it is like comparing apples and oranges. but if you had just misspelled milliliters the answer is 207.0147(12 votes)
- how many pints are in 10 cups(3 votes)
- why are pints bigger than cups i mean if you ask for a pint of milk it isnt that big but if you ask for a cup of milk it is more than a pint(3 votes)
- how many quarts are in a cup(3 votes)
- how much cups are in a gallon(3 votes)
- first break gallons into quarts = 4 quarts 1 quart = 2 pints so that = 8 pints 2 cups go into a pint so we get 16 cups go into a gallon(5 votes)
- How many ounces are in a Ton(3 votes)
- If each pound equals 16 ounces, and there are 2000 pounds in a ton, how do you get the answer?
16 ounces x 2000 = 32,000 ounces(4 votes)