5th grade (Eureka Math/EngageNY)
- Converting units: minutes to hours
- Convert units of time
- Converting units: metric distance
- Converting units: centimeters to meters
- Convert units (metrics)
- Metric units of volume review (L and mL)
- Metric units of mass review (g and kg)
- Metric units of length review (mm, cm, m, & km)
- Converting units of time review (seconds, minutes, & hours)
- Converting units: US volume
- Same length in different units
- Convert units (US customary)
- Convert units word problems (metrics)
- US Customary units of volume review (c, pt, qt, & gal)
- US Customary units of weight review (oz & lb)
- US Customary units of length review (in, ft, yd, & mi)
- Time word problem: Susan's break
- Measurement word problem: tea party
- Convert units multi-step word problems (metric)
- Convert units word problems (US customary)
- Measurement word problem: blood drive
- Measurement word problem: distance home
- Measurement word problem: elevator
- Measurement word problem: running laps
Review the size of seconds, minutes, and hours and how to convert between them. Then, try some practice problems.
Units of time
Units of time measure how long something lasts. For example, how many seconds can you hold your breath, or how many minutes long is your favorite movie?
How long are different units?
A second is a short amount of time. It takes about second to turn on a light or open the refrigerator door.
A minute is equal to seconds. It takes about minute to brush your teeth.
An hour is equal to minutes. Extracurricular activities (gymnastics, piano lessons, soccer practice) often last about hour.
Practice set 1: Estimating time
Identify the most reasonable unit to measure the time it takes to bake a pan of cookies.
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise.
Converting larger units to smaller units
To convert larger units to smaller units we multiply the number of larger units by .
Example: Converting hours to minutes
Converting smaller units to larger units
To convert smaller units to larger units we divide the number of smaller units by .
Example: Converting seconds to minutes
Want to join the conversation?
- How many seconds are in an hour?(2 votes)
- for the first section and the third question it says what the average time to pick up the phone is seconds but what if you can't find your phone.Then it can take more than a few seconds. It could take roughly 15 seconds(0 votes)
- how many seconds are in 11 minutes?(7 votes)
- why would it be seconds = 1/60 of a minute. It would be easier to say minute = 60 seconds?(1 vote)
- think about how old you are now try and think how much Hours you lived :)(7 votes)
- how many yards are in a mile(4 votes)
- How do you convert from minutes and seconds to months and vice versa? What about to years?(2 votes)
- Just convert the units!
1000 min x (1 hr / 60 min) x (1 day / 24 hr) x (1 month / 30.5 days)
= 1000 / (60 x 24 x 30.5) months
= 0.02277 months
So 1000 minutes = 0.02277 months
1 month x (30.5 days / 1 month) x (24 hr / 1 day) x (60 min / 1 hr) x (60 sec / 1 min)
= (1 x 30.5 x 24 x 60 x 60) sec
= 2,635,200 sec
So 1 month = 2,635,200 seconds
0.02277 months x (1 year / 12 months)
= 0.001898 years
So 1000 minutes = 0.001898 years(5 votes)
- how can we know how many hours is 6 min?(0 votes)
- 6 minutes is not enough time for their to be an hour because an hour requires 60 minutes. Therefore if you were do divide 6(minutes) by 60 you would get 0.1, That being the amount of hours in 6 minutes.(1 vote)