4th grade reading & vocabulary
Growth Mindset: unit vocabulary
This is a list of some useful and interesting words you'll find in this unit. You probably know some of them already, while others might be new to you.
Take some time to get to know them all before you get started!
- Definition: mental toughness and courage
- Sample Sentence: Juan showed grit when he climbed the mountain even though he is afraid of heights.
- Definition: to continue doing something or trying to do something even though it is difficult
- Sample Sentence: Despite a sprained ankle, Sylvia persevered and finished the race.
- Definition: a difficult task or problem: something that is hard to do
- Sample Sentence: Maria’s music teacher thinks she is up for the challenge of a violin solo at the winter concert.
- Definition: a quality that makes you continue trying to do or achieve something that is difficult
- Sample Sentence: Ishaan worked on his math homework with determination.
- Definition: to make (something) grow or become bigger or more advanced
- Sample Sentence: After years of practice, Carlos developed a perfect free-throw shot.
- Definition: to look at (something) closely and carefully in order to learn more about it, to find problems, etc.
- Sample Sentence: When her rocket failed to launch, Zoe examined it to find the problem.
- Definition: a tissue in the body that controls feeling and movement by carrying messages between the brain and other parts of the body
- Sample Sentence: The optic nerve in the eye allows you to see.
- Definition: a kind of cell that carries messages between the brain and other body parts.
- Sample Sentence: When you practice something new, the neurons in your brain get stronger and the new skill will get easier.
- Definition: a joining or linking of two or more things.
- Sample Sentence: During the storm, our connection to the internet went out so I wasn’t able to practice on Khan Academy.
- Definition: to commit or give all of your time, energy, or attention to something
- Sample Sentence: After failing to make the team, Ray decided to devote every afternoon to practicing so he would be ready for tryouts next time.
- Definition: to cause feelings of discouragement
- Sample Sentence: It frustrates Fernanda that her parents think girls can’t be scientists.
- Definition: a lack of success
- Sample Sentence: Sandy’s failure to reach the top of the climbing wall only made her more determined to keep trying.
Want to join the conversation?
- how can i concentrate to my goal and my future ?(17 votes)
- Focus on one thing at a time. It can be hard for me to do the same. But I ask God for wisdom and pick the most important goal that really needs focus(18 votes)
- how can i know how to walk?(8 votes)
- Start with the first thought - I can do this.
Go onto the first expression - Hey [supporter (mom/ dad/ grandma/ grandpa/ sibling/ friend)'s name], I am going to try to walk. Now.
Try to stand first, with help, then leaning on something, and then alone.
Then go to the first fall - nobody learns how to do something on the first try.
Then go on to the second fall.
Then the third.
At some point, you'll get the first step. Hold it. Enjoy it. Hopefully you'll never have a first step again.
Then the next step.
Then the next.
Then the next.
Then the next.
Keep going till you feel tired. Sit down.
Try again after a while.
Try again later.
Try again tomorrow.
Try again after that.
And soon, you'll win a race.(17 votes)
- How can improve my speaking skill(12 votes)
- By speaking. Constantly. Don't worry about mistakes, just speak.(9 votes)
- How can i work on my concentration?(8 votes)
- music always helps me or you could work in silence(5 votes)
- how can I improve my brain really well(9 votes)
- how much of your brain do you use to simply pick up a glass of water(6 votes)
- It courthouses on how much neurons you have.(3 votes)
- Bye exercising your brain with different school things your brain become more stronger an learns better about what you are trying to learn about the teacher is trying to teach you(6 votes)
- How do we make our brian smarter?(6 votes)
- You can apply this to just about anything... Pick a subject and take time out of your day, it can be anywhere from fifteen minutes to three hours if you want, and you do research on it, find trustworthy websites, read and watch videos, and then test your knowledge by applying it to your job, your school, or everyday life! Happy learning and God bless!(4 votes)
- How can, I help myself to grow my mind??(7 votes)
- how do I improve my words so that they will make sense to everyone?(5 votes)
- You have to learn(1 vote)