Get ready to learn jQuery
If you're here, then you're probably geared up to learn jQuery and want to dive in right now. But we want to make sure that you've got all the knowledge and skills that you need to be successful with jQuery, so that you keep going all the way through the course.
Here's what you should be familiar with:
- HTML/CSS: You should know how to use tags like
<div>, and know how to make CSS rules that select by id and class name, plus rules that use descendant selectors. You can take this quiz to see how well you remember all that, and review any HTML/CSS that you forgot.
- JS DOM API: Browsers expose the JS DOM API to give web developers a way to manipulate webpages in JS, and jQuery functions call the DOM functions behind the scenes (like
document.getElementById). Some web developers choose to learn jQuery without ever learning the DOM API, but we strongly encourage you to learn the DOM API first - and we will refer to it throughout this course. You will likely have to use both in your time as a web developer, and it's valuable to understand how you can use JS in a browser without any library at all. You can learn the DOM API in our HTML/JS course and read the summary articles for a review.
- Using JS libraries: You should know how to insert a
<script>tag in your webpage to include a JS library. If you haven't done that before, you can go through this short tutorial.
That sounds like a lot, I know -- and it is! But if you learn and review it all now, before diving into jQuery, you'll be happier down the road. Once you feel good and ready, keep going...
Want to join the conversation?
- So... Is this really just an easier version of HTML/JS because I was always confused for a bit with HTML/JS Making Webpages Interactive?(11 votes)
- Not exactly.
Let's imagine you have a robot - and you want it to take a step.
But if you want to use a shorter command you need something that would help robot understand what you want - and that's what JQuerry does for you in the browser(35 votes)
- can anyone tell what is an API?(12 votes)
- to expand on this, an API is a library or extension that a language can use to draw features and functions from it.
- how can we use jquery in php ?(2 votes)
There is also the possibility through AJAX to call a back-end script (PHP) from within the JQuery library functions and methods.(8 votes)
So it would be helpful. It's not strictly required, but I would advise learning HTML/JS first.(3 votes)
- Can you make the pictures bigger with one of those buttons?(2 votes)
- Now that you created a jQuery course, what do you plan on making next, or have you not decided? I would like a PHP course personally, but anything would be great!(1 vote)
- I would love a Python and PHP course here. I've already asked Pamela, now hopefully, she'll reply. I think Khan Academy is doing really well in terms of expanding there library. Soon, they might teach more languages than Codecademy! However, that is unlikely since Codecademy was made to teach only programming, whereas Khan Academy teaches a large range of subjects. I think Khan Academy is doing really well. Hmmm... Maybe a little too well... Which is good!(3 votes)
- *Can you use jQuery to build a VR?*(1 vote)
- For Virtual Reality, with the HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift for example, you need pretty fast code.
Slow code will result in lag, stutters and extreme nausea.
You can use C# or Java. I think either of those are a good choice to start with.
Unity3D is a good game engine to work with (C#).
LibGDX is also great (Java).
- Should I learn JQuery in 2021? There are frameworks like angular and react, which are popular nowadays. So is it worth learning?(1 vote)
- Yes and no.
jQuery was built to make it easier to implement features that JS didn't offer back then when jQuery was written. However, JS has been improved in many ways since then and today, almost everything you can do with jQuery can be done with plain JS. For example, the JS function
querySelector()is the same as jQuery's
On the other hand, jQuery is still used quite a bit so you might need to use it for a project or to read someone else's code.(3 votes)
- How can we connect html form with database ?(2 votes)
- You need to send a REST API request to an API which accesses the database and updates it with the information you sent in the request.(1 vote)
- How do you put websites on your messages?(2 votes)