- Hairstylist and salon owner: What I do and how much I make
- Hairstylist and salon owner: How I got my job and where I'm going
- Hairstylist and salon owner: My budget and planning for the future
- Hairstylist and salon owner: Starting and owning a salon business
- What does a hair stylist do?
- How do you become a hair stylist?
What does a hair stylist do?
Learn about the possible work environments and typical responsibilities of a hair stylist.
Whether your hair is long or short, straight or curly, there is a good chance that you’ve been to a hair stylist at some point in your life. Before the stylist picked up their scissors, they probably had a conversation with you about what you wanted. The key to being a good hair stylist is not only technical training, but strong communication and customer service skills - they have to understand what the client wants and then deliver.
Hair stylists work in a variety of settings, including salons, spas, fashion shoots, and production sets for film, television, and theater. Within salons, hair stylists may rent their own station and manage their clients independently or work for a salon on commission. Typical responsibilities include washing, cutting, and styling hair, as well providing advice about hair products. In most salons, stylists are responsible for cleaning up their workstations and sterilizing their equipment. In between appointments, they may also greet clients, help with scheduling, and process payments.
In a performing arts setting, hair stylists work closely with make up artists and costume designers to complete the look of actors and actresses in the production. Some actors and actresses may have a personal hair stylist who will manage their hair and hair pieces throughout the production.
The compensation for hair stylists varies based on geographic location and work environment. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for hair stylists in 2015 was $23,710. In addition, many stylists also receive tips that add to this base pay. Some salons also provide bonuses to stylists who bring in new business. The salary of stylists in the entertainment industry tends to be higher with a range of $30,000-$100,000 a year.
As a hair stylist grows in their profession, they might choose to specialize in a technique such as hair color, perm, or Brazilian blow out. Some hair stylists advance by opening or managing a salon, or becoming a cosmetology instructor. In each of these positions, they may still continue to work with clients directly and style hair.
“Barbers, Hairdressers, and Cosmetologists.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Accessed November 16, 2021.
“Salaries of Movie Hairstylists.” careertrend.com. Accessed November 16, 2021.
“Careers in Beauty.” American Association of Cosmetology Schools. Accessed November 16, 2021.
“Hair Stylist.” Media-match.com. Accessed March 25, 2017.
“Ten Outside-the-box Jobs You Can Pursue with a Cosmetology License.” Douglas J Aveda Institute. Accessed December 10, 2021.
“What does a Hair Stylist Do?” Learn.org. Accessed March 18, 2017.
Want to join the conversation?
- If i become a hair stlist will i make that much money(5 votes)
- Hello Jada! This is a great question and one to keep in mind when considering a career. How much money you make really depends on how many hours you work, how many hours of those you are booked with clients, and how much you (or your employer) charges per service you do. The more skill and customer service you have, and the harder you work, the better chance you have of making money!(2 votes)
- How do you make it big or find clients?(5 votes)
- just be patient and you will find clients(2 votes)
- how do i get more to do hair like the peopl on tv been doing(4 votes)
- I think one of your best bets is using social media. With the consent of friends and clients, you can post your work to the internet to attract attention to your works.(4 votes)
- Hi! I've been interested in make-up and hair for a while now, and decided that I would like to go to beauty school in the 9th grade. I was wondering if there was anybody who can tell me how the environment is when going to school, as well competition, and explain what a culture-based salon is.(4 votes)
- Hi I graduated for beauty consultancy now I want to enroll for hair dressing is it true that the American ambassy does not take Zimbabwean nationality to work on cruise ships anymore I want to work there after am confident and ready with all my skills(3 votes)
- Hello! I am not quite sure if Khan Academy is the right platform for this question. I would try Google searching your question or getting in touch with someone more knowledgeable. Good luck in your future careers!(2 votes)
- to have a appointment people need hairstyle for party and to earn money(3 votes)
- how do i start my business to where people will know where and who i am. how do i get people to attend my services(2 votes)
- i like what u doing but let me tell u this u cant make nobody come to u i now it was hard for me but like at me now i do people hair from tv that what i do ok(2 votes)
- how much money do you make a day?(2 votes)
- How do you choose the right setting for you when doing hair and makeup? What school do you have to go to in order to be a professional makeup artist working with stars or something?(2 votes)
- what is a PR agent?(2 votes)