Understand fractions: FAQ
Frequently asked questions about understanding fractions.
What is a fraction?
A fraction is a way of representing a part of a whole. The top number is called the numerator, and the bottom number is called the denominator.
The is the number of equal parts being counted.
The is the number of equal parts in one whole.
What does it mean when the numerator is bigger than the denominator?
It means that the fraction is bigger than .
For example, is greater than because the number of pieces we are counting, is greater than the number of pieces in the whole, .
A circle is divided into three equal parts. One part is shaded.
A circle is divided into three equal parts. All three parts are shaded.
How do we show fractions on a number line?
We can divide the number line into different parts to show where a fraction falls. For example, if we divide the number line into four equal parts, we can show halfway between and .
How can we relate fractions to ?
A fraction is greater than when the numerator is greater than the denominator.
A fraction is equal to when the numerator is equal to the denominator.
A fraction is less than when the numerator is less than the denominator.
Why do we need to learn about fractions?
Fractions are used in many different ways in the real world. For example, recipes often call for fractions of ingredients, like a cup of sugar. We also use fractions in measurements, like of an inch.
Want to join the conversation?
- Can you make a game section?(23 votes)
- Yes, I can make a section.(10 votes)
- why do you use fractions in life?(15 votes)
- because you need to mesure something(2 votes)
- can you make a game section(9 votes)
- sometimes it could be hard because it might confuse you.But there is a way to solve your equation!when there is an image and it says a fraction to solve you may wanna look at the bottom first of the fraction equation.then look at the top of the fraction equation for example 3/6. sometimes you think it might be at the top but it starts at the bottom.from the fraction equation now you look at one of your images of which one is the right one.(9 votes)
- How can you tell if a fraction is less,greater,or = to a half or a whole too.(2 votes)
- If a fraction is a whole then it means that the numerator (the top number) is equal to the denominator (the bottom number).
If the numerator is more than the denominator, it is greater than a whole, and if the numerator is less, it is less than a whole.
The same goes for a half -- for example, 7/14. 7*2 is 14. If the numerator *2 is equal to the denominator, it is exactly half. If the numerator *2 is less than the denominator, it is less than half. And finally, if the numerator *2 is more than the denominator, it is greater than half.(14 votes)
- ya can you make a game section(9 votes)
- yaya can you make a game section(0 votes)
- Can you add games please(6 votes)
- ok will add games(5 votes)
- I want a game section!(6 votes)
- How big can a fraction get? Is there such thing as 100 equal parts?(5 votes)
- pretty sure there is(1 vote)
- what's 13x2(3 votes)
- 26 is the answer(2 votes)