Subtraction word problems within 10
Sal solves word problems by subtracting small numbers (numbers 10 or less).
Want to join the conversation?
- how do you know when to add or subtract in a wordproblem?(11 votes)
- You check if it says, something about adding or subtracting(1 vote)
- can you use a number line(4 votes)
- needs to be easier it hurts my head too much and i am in 6 grade(2 votes)
- can you subtract to find a addition problem(4 votes)
- yes it is possible(1 vote)
- I saw something interesting in AGT and I wonder how he manage to find the exact day you are born just by looking at your birth date. I wonder how he does that and I want to see if anyone knows how he did it.(3 votes)
- Can you do something harder like up to 10000(2 votes)
- You can use the same formula to calculate that for yourself!(1 vote)
- how do u know when to add
or subtract in a wordproblem?(1 vote)
- When adding and subtracting, you have two signs. adding and subtracting. Obviously in word problems are not going to say add 2+1 or subtract 2-1. Most times in word problems it will say, Sally had 2 apples and Johnathon had six. If Johnathon eats four of his apples how many will there be? What you have to do is subtract, but first you have to add. so add 2+6, and then subtract 4 from your total. In word problems there will be key words. for example, take away, how many more, how many fewer, more, and less. BE CAREFUL: some cases in word problems, more could mean less, and less could mean more.(2 votes)
- Boy you have a big mouth(1 vote)
- how -5 sharks swam away from 0 sharks?(0 votes)
- -5 sharks cannot swim away from zero sharks, as there are no sharks that can swim away.(2 votes)
- this was so easy it was just review(1 vote)
- if you learn duh(1 vote)
- [Voiceover] There were 10 sharks at the reef. And we see, there's one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, 10 sharks, just like they told us. Two sharks swam away, I was gonna say ran away, (laughs), they swam away. How many sharks are left? So, let's think about it. There were 10 sharks at the reef and two of them, two of them, swam away, so how many sharks are left? How many sharks are left? Well, what's 10 minus two going to be equal to? Well, we could look up here if we had 10 pictures of sharks and we were to take away, we were to take away one and then two, how many are going to be left? Well, we see we have one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, and eight. So, 10 minus two, 10 taking away two sharks, the two sharks that swam away, is going to be equal to eight.