8th grade reading & vocabulary
Welcome to the Crossing the Line unit!
A motorcyclist jumping in a rugged, desert environment.
What kinds of advantages are fair or unfair for professional athletes? Some athletes' genes give them an advantage; others excel solely through practice and hard work. And while some people believe that using drugs to improve performance is unfair, others argue that it doesn't make sense to distinguish between substances like steroids, and "natural" performance enhancers like high energy food and drinks. What do you think?
In this unit, you will:
- Read opposing arguments about what counts as a fair or unfair advantage
- Think about how allowing or banning certain things can affect sports
- Consider what you think would be fair in the scenarios discussed
- Watching videos that explain different approaches and strategies for reading
- Reading and answering questions about literary and informational texts
- Learning new academic words
In order to answer the essential question: What makes an advantage fair or unfair?
Want to join the conversation?
- an unfair advantaged would be steroids because it makes you more focused have more stamina and build strength(16 votes)
- Very good answer(10 votes)
- If having a chocolate bar before sport compititions is wrong, i don’t want to be right.(9 votes)
- *so… chocolate is evil?*(7 votes)
- I feel like if you take durgs as an athlete I feel like u not doing the work at all.(10 votes)
- I personally think it's unfair to use drugs, such as speed, to compete in competitions. you're not actually doing YOUR best, your pumping illegal drugs through yourself,and it will eventually hurt you.(10 votes)
- This is why Lebrun is winning football right now(8 votes)
- what makes an advantage fair and unfair is unfair would be the drugs and steroids and you be better then other but not on your own . Fair would be trying your best and give your hardest on your ow(7 votes)
- Would starch count as a unfair meal?(5 votes)
- why is it so unfair(4 votes)
- It’s unfair because the drugs could make them better and if not it could get them in more danger depending the spot/ situation(4 votes)