Computers and the Internet
Communication at light speed
In the 1950s, people only had a few options for communicating with each other over long distances: a telephone call, a telegram, or a mailed letter.
But then computers, the Internet, and mobile phones happened. Nowadays, we can send an email, write a short text message, post on social media, or use any one of many popular messaging apps. Thanks to all those options, we can choose the communication medium that's best for our message's audience and purpose.
Whatever we choose, our messages arrive nearly instantaneously at their destination: popping up in email inboxes, triggering push notifications on phones, or appearing in social media feeds.
The best part? Everything's asynchronous, so we don't actually need to drop everything and reply immediately. We can, if we want, but we can also take our time.
Let's explore email, SMS, and social media in more depth, and consider the differences in how they enable communication and information dissemination.
Want to join the conversation?
- is it illegal to eat blue whale meat(8 votes)
- in some places, like the Arctic, the Faroe Islands, Norway, Iceland, and Japan, killing and eating whales continues to this day, often in the face of international condemnation. In the U.S., on the other hand, the sale of whale meat is illegal.(2 votes)
- When it comes to instant messaging, is it possible for it to be slowed due to a lack of redundancies in its connections?(1 vote)
- hiiiiiiiaindmeiiii i iooot(1 vote)
- What time is the right time to sleep?(1 vote)
- Is blue whale meat considered a delicacy food in any place in the world?(0 votes)
- I don't even know what blue whale meat is it's probably considered Haram.(0 votes)
- Why is my hampster not eating its food?(0 votes)
- Why and how did people create the idea of texting and calling on a cellular device.(0 votes)
- Calling came before smartphones, in the days of landlines. Smartphones are just extensions of landlines, with more features and less cords. Texting & email are just electronic versions of physical letters.(1 vote)
- how did they come up to make a new phone what motivated them to do a phone.(0 votes)