Welcome to Natural Simulations
Created by Pamela Fox.
Want to join the conversation?
- what if we did not learn it in physics class??(42 votes)
- From the author:As Wrath says, there are many videos here on related topics. I try to link to them in various places throughout the course, but if I haven't, you can try searching on Khan or the internet for the given topic.(61 votes)
- Is1:10on the screen an attempt to model someone lost in the woods?(15 votes)
- That is a random walk simulation (covered in more depth in the next section).
If you watch the Cryptography videos, you will see how random walks can be used to demonstrate the difference between random and pseudo-random numbers.
Here's an example: https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-science/cryptography/crypt/p/random-walk-exploration
You may need to watch a few videos to work out how to use it.(13 votes)
- I am in 8th grade... this will not go well will it?(8 votes)
- So am I, and I'm afraid to say, although it is not impossible, I found it extremely difficult. Then again, you could be ten times smarter than I am, but I strongly advise waiting a year or so or doing extra research. Just dive in and enjoy all you can.
Good luck! :)(9 votes)
- For this course... what level of knowledge about JS i need? I have a basis of C and python. Thanks!(6 votes)
- What if we have never taken a physics class?(6 votes)
- Peter, see https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/cs/programming-natural-simulations/intro-natural-simulations/v/welcome-natural-simulations?qa_expand_key=ag5zfmtoYW4tYWNhZGVteXJkCxIIVXNlckRhdGEiQXVzZXJfaWRfa2V5X2h0dHA6Ly9nb29nbGVpZC5raGFuYWNhZGVteS5vcmcvMTA3MTA5ODA0MTQ5NTU3ODMxMjk0DAsSCEZlZWRiYWNrGICAgMCEzb4KDA for pamela's response to Claire on the same question.(5 votes)
- Can i continue this course without learning complete js course??(4 votes)
- You can, but it might get pretty difficult. A lot of the concepts you will use here were taught in the Intro to JS course, so if you don't understand those then it will be hard for you to progress here.(5 votes)
- Just out of the box,l is there a way that you can make your canvas larger like 700,700 or 800,800(3 votes)
- If you type into the URL ?height=800 or ?width=800 you will get a bigger canvas. You change the width and height around.(6 votes)
- Is there a way to control the width only of text? Not textSize();, not height, just width.(3 votes)
- For the width, try scaling horizontally only. This will make the text appear wider. (Really, only your co-ordinates get wider). This can be found in the Games and Visualisations course.(5 votes)
- Can this unit help with making game physics?(4 votes)
- so, Im in middle school, and I've never done trigonometry in my life. Do I have to know trigonometry in order to complete this course?(3 votes)
- No, but it would be useful to learn Trigonometry, because it's used. But not really necessary. You can learn Trigonometry here: