1. Macrostates and microstates
The difference between macrostates and microstates. Thermodynamic equilibrium.
2. Quasistatic and reversible processes
Using theoretically quasi-static and/or reversible processes to stay pretty much at equilibrium.
4. More on internal energy
Getting more intuition of internal energy, heat, and work. Examples of using the first law to calculate work.
5. What is the first law of thermodynamics?
Learn what the first law of thermodynamics is and how to use it.
7. PV-diagrams and expansion work
Why work from expansion is the area under the curve of a PV-diagram. Why heat is not a state function and internal energy is a state function.
8. What are PV diagrams?
Learn what PV diagrams are and how to use them to find the change in internal energy, work done, and heat.
9. Proof: U = (3/2)PV or U = (3/2)nRT
Conceptual proof that the internal energy of an ideal gas system is 3/2 PV.
10. Work done by isothermic process
Isothermic and adiabatic processes. Calculating the work done by an isothermic process and seeing that it is the same as the heat added.
13. Proof: S (or entropy) is a valid state variable
Proof that S (or entropy) is a valid state variable.
14. Thermodynamic entropy definition clarification
Clarifying that the thermodynamic definition of Entropy requires a reversible system.
15. Reconciling thermodynamic and state definitions of entropy
Long video explaining why entropy is a measure of the number of states a system can take on (mathy, but mind-blowing).
16. Entropy intuition
Introduces second law of thermodynamics. A discussion of entropy change in terms of heat and microstates .
17. Maxwell's demon
Maxwell's Demon: A thought experiment that seems to defy the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
18. More on entropy
Distinguishing between microstates and macro states. How entropy S is defined for a system and not for a specific microstate.
19. Efficiency of a Carnot engine
Definition of efficiency for a heat engine. Efficiency of a Carnot Engine.
20. Carnot efficiency 2: Reversing the cycle
Seeing how we can scale and or reverse a Carnot Engine (to make a refrigerator)
Current time: 0:00Total duration: 16:56
0 energy points
Conceptual proof that the internal energy of an ideal gas system is 3/2 PV. Created by Sal Khan.