Discovery of magnetism
Our ancestors noticed that certain rocks were attracted to each other. They also noticed that this force could be transferred onto certain metallic objects! Created by Brit Cruise.
Want to join the conversation?
- What kind of rock did he use to magnetize the pin? Where can I get that type of rock?(108 votes)
- Lodestone. You can find 'em online if you google it.(83 votes)
- Which way is North? Would the poles of the needle change if Brit Cruise magnetized it by rubbing the lodestone in the other direction?(3 votes)
- I believe so, since he would be aligning the atoms in the opposite direction.(8 votes)
- does this mean if you have a magnetized rock and pin you can you make your own compos?
and if you put the rock the direction the sun sets which is the west you can know where north is cool!(5 votes)
- What other kinds of naturally occurring magnets are there other than lodestone?(3 votes)
- Naturally occurring magnets or lodestones "magnetite", have been be used to make iron into magnets for centuries by polarizing the iron, however this type of magnet is not long lasting nor reliable enough for use in today's automobiles.(3 votes)
- How are magnetism and electricity related?(2 votes)
- You can convert magnetism into electricity and vice-versa.(2 votes)
- I don't have any lodestone. But I have other kinds of magnets. Will this experiment work with other kinds of magnets?(2 votes)
- Yes, every magnet will be slightly different, but it overall would be pointing in the same direction as in the video(2 votes)
- why did he keep moving the leaf(2 votes)
- Just to show that the needle would always point North, regardless of where he moves it(2 votes)
- where can you find natural magnets? what type of rock are they? igneous? metamorphic?(2 votes)
- Magnetite is a mineral that occurs in both igneous and metamorphic rocks.(2 votes)
- what is the thing he put the needle on
how does it work
can u use simple magnets rather then lodestone(2 votes)
- He just put the needle on a floating leaf. It worked because the magnet is atracted to the earths magnetic fields, and points due north. You can use any magnet to magnatize things.(2 votes)
- If magnetite is found in stones can the stone magnetise a pin or a needle?(2 votes)