High school physics
By pulsing the connection to the battery we can cause a compass to spin. How is this working? Created by Brit Cruise.
Want to join the conversation?
- Is there some benefit to the salt to the reaction and does it need it be used for this to work?(3 votes)
- Great question. Check out this video:
- what is this trying to show me(2 votes)
- This simple demo is the basis for the electric motor....Can you think of why this is? Is it possible to make something to spin without using your hands?(2 votes)
- so does the polls have anything to do with the compass here?(2 votes)
- since nickels and pennies are different types of metals(i'm pretty sure), how does it make the compass spin?(0 votes)
- all bodies have a natural magnetic field. the coils multiply/intensify this magnetic field when the electric current flows through them.(4 votes)
- could you replace the water with ice? what would happen?(1 vote)
- Can we replace the salt water solution with a on/off switch or push button? I want to know what the significance of salt water is in this demonstration.(1 vote)
- how much water did you use(1 vote)
- would it still work without saltwater?
just curious...(1 vote)
- It has to have an electrolyte solution to work, so Salt Water is good. Maybe Gatorade would also?(1 vote)
- how come the compass moves faster ?(1 vote)
- The more frequently he puts it in, the faster the compass needle will spin.(1 vote)
- I get it now the salt water must be conducting a magnetic field(1 vote)