Exercise 2: Basic shot types
- Can you find a moment where changing shot types (wide shot, medium shot, close-up) help emphasis a story point?
- How does the staging and framing heighten the emotional impact of the scene?
- Can you find a shot where the rule of thirds is followed?
- Sketch the frame for each of these three shots from the camera’s point of view. Remember to consider what you want the audience to know, and what you want them to feel.
- Consider using either “centering” or “rule of thirds” to place your subjects within the frame.
- To help you visualize the staging, imagine looking down on each of the three shot types. Put the camera and character(s) where you imagine they need to be in order to create the shot type. Add any notes, lines, or details that would indicate direction for camera or character.