- Sheets of paper for cutting out parts
- Markers (or any other drawing medium)
- Glue (for character assembly)
- Presentation boards (optional)
Step 0: Homework (~40 min)
Step 1: Introduce problem (~5 min)
Step 2: Group discussion (~5 min)
- If you have 3 different heads, 3 different tails and 2 different bodies how many different dinosaurs could you make?
- If you have 3 different heads, 2 different tails, 1 body and 2 different pairs of arms how many different dinosaurs could you make?
Step 3: Break up into groups
Step 4: Math challenge (~10 min)
Step 5: Design challenge (~20min)
Step 6: Conclusion (time permitting)
- Can you prove that you can make 1000 different dinosaurs with the parts you've designed.
- Which group had the fewest number of parts?
- Combine your favorite parts to make two of your own dinosaurs. Be sure to give them names, diets and a backstory!
- What is the absolute minimum number of parts needed to create 1000 different dinosaurs?
- What if we needed exactly 1200 different dinosaurs?
- Remember Pixar automates this so the characters can quickly be created. Pixar also designs and redesigns so things look great. What would you do to improve your work if you took what you have and redesigned?