- Why go to Mars?
- Seeking signs of habitability
- Where to look?
- Destination: Gale crater
- Rover vision
- Surface and atmospheric studies
- Curiosity's arm
- Curiosity's hand
- Chemistry and mineralogy
- SAM Instruments
- Preparing for landing
- Entry, descent & landing
- MSL Brief
- Curiosity landing simulation
Details on the landing site: Gale Crater
. Created by NASA.
. Created by NASA.
Want to join the conversation?
- Is Curiosity able to make it that far up the hill?
It seems like a long time. And a lot of nuclear power needed too.(14 votes)
- not solar but nuclear, though not nuclear as in a nuclear plant (no nuclear fusion), but using the heat decaying plutonium that is converted into energy. Solar light is too weak on mars to power a robot like curiosity (it would need gigantic solar panels)(9 votes)
- what does curiosity do at night(6 votes)
- It cries softly to itself because it is alone.
Just kidding. It uses a radioisotope thermoelectric generator for power instead of solar panels, so it has the ability to work at night because it does not rely on the sun for electricity. Although it could work in the dark, there is always the danger of running into an unseen rock, so NASA does not usually use it at night.(11 votes)
- What is the jagged yellow-green line or outline at the beginning of the video supposed to represent?(3 votes)
- They are two of the possible planned routes for Curiosity to take. At0:55he states that they are going to follow the route on the route, which is the preferred route for scientists.(4 votes)
- Is the mountain by the Gale Crater the highest on Mars?(3 votes)
- why is gale crater called gale?(3 votes)
- how did mars get its name(1 vote)
- Mars, the red planet, was named after the god of war. According to Roman myth Mars rode on a chariot pulled by two horses named Phobos and Deimos (meaning fear and panic).(2 votes)
- When the mars steel have water why no one know about that ? And do you know when the mars have water(1 vote)
- More talking about when mars had water, i would say about the time of when we humans didn't exist. So like over 6 million years ago. We don't exactly know when mars first had water though.(2 votes)
- Won't there be challenges exiting the crater?(1 vote)