400 years of Astronomy using Telescopes. To commemorate this International Year of Astronomy, three of NASA's flagship observatories have put a new spin on how we see the Pinwheel Galaxy!
. Created by NASA.
. Created by NASA.
Want to join the conversation?
- There are many animals on Earth that have different ranges of the light spectrum that they can see. If we all evolved with roughly the conditions related to brightness of the Sun, why do we (humans) see a different range of wavelengths of light than a mosquito or lobster?(8 votes)
- I should relate you to the evolution section:
based on those principles, animals evolved different kinds of visions because of the different purposes. Some birds, for example can see with four cones of light to choose pretty mates from the opposing genders (and they can see colors we can't!). On the other hand, some opposum have two cones just to distinguish between shades of grey light, and that's all it needs. Dolphins have just one cone, and it sees it black and white.(5 votes)
- isent red blue and yellow the primary colors(1 vote)
- No, the primary additive colors are red, green and blue. The primary subtractive colors are magenta, cyan and yellow.
Red, blue and yellow are a simplified but inaccurate set of primary colors that is erroneously taught to young children.(3 votes)
- I have been watching these videos for some time now, and I must say that I've learned quite a lot! I was wondering, do you think it would be theoreticaly possible to build and send a telescope/"Static satelite" to a static position above the eliptical plane, as to look back at Earth and most of the inner Eliptical plane? Kind of like some of the video aspects shown, in the way the scientists explain each topic.(2 votes)
- I meant like the sun rays are too strong for us to see so what if somebody make eye drops that can make us directly see the sun will that be possible?(1 vote)
- There are glasses out there dark enough to enable you to see the sun relatively safely. Hope that helps.(1 vote)
- was that a pipe or a telescope?(1 vote)
- how come some of the gas giants are blue, but are not safe for us to breathe if it is oxygen?(1 vote)
- what if we could directly see the sun(0 votes)
- Could? You CAN actually see the sun.. Maybe that wasn't your question..Can you elaborate?(2 votes)