Godfrey Abeshin, in conversation with curator Hassan Arero, remembers the Ife of his childhood. © Trustees of the British Museum. Created by British Museum.
Want to join the conversation?
- What are the other 4 cities created by God?(7 votes)
- I think it depends on your point of view. Maybe people from different religions have different answers.(1 vote)
- I understand Africa had a complex tradition of oral history, but how I wish they had developed writing! Then we would know more about this beautiful and fascinating culture.(2 votes)
- The reason for the fascination with heads...isn't it because it's mostly just the bronze heads that have been found?(1 vote)
- Its not just because bronze heads have been found, it is because of how important a head represents in the Yoruba land.(2 votes)
- why did they work with brass so much? It seems to me that they would go searching for more and different types of supplies for sculptures. Didn't they worry that they would run out of brass and the next king/chief would not be remembered in brass. Although that would probably be a good thing if the king/chief turned out to be a big brat. Although i can think of no king like that. Yet.(1 vote)
- 1) there was enough brass for what they needed.
2) brass can be recycled. If you needed some and didn't have it, you could melt down things that were previously made. In the European context, brass church bells got recycled into canons for the navy, and naval canons got recycled into church bells.(1 vote)
- why are there holes around the mouths of the heads?(1 vote)