Statistics and probability
- Representing data
- Frequency tables & dot plots
- Creating frequency tables
- Creating dot plots
- Reading dot plots & frequency tables
- Dot plots and frequency tables review
- Creating a histogram
- Interpreting a histogram
- Create histograms
- Read histograms
- Histograms review
- Stem-and-leaf plots
- Reading stem and leaf plots
- Reading stem and leaf plots
- Stem and leaf plots review
Dot plots and frequency tables are tools for displaying data in a more organized fashion. In this article, we review how to make dot plots and frequency tables.
Dot plots and frequency tables are nice ways to organize and display data. To see how they work, we'll need some data.
Every four years, soccer teams from around the world compete in the World Cup. The following list shows the number of goals scored in the championship game of each World Cup from 1930-2014:
This data set is interesting, but it’s too disorganized. Let’s organize it into a frequency table and also a dot plot.
Want a more detailed explanation of frequency tables and dot plots? Watch this video.
Want to join the conversation?
- Is a dot plot similar to a tally?(17 votes)
- Yes, in a way you are counting the number of occurrences within the bucket or range.
but the tally is mostly used for categorizing data. Sort of the first step in doing dot plots.
If we had so many 3 goals scored in the data it is better to do tally instead of counting the goals in our head.(4 votes)
- Why were the two scores ( 0* and 2*) included in the table and chart but in the original data set we were told they didn't count?(4 votes)
- the data represents goals, not the score between the teams. The games where 0* and 2* goals were ties, so the game went to penalty kicks to determine the cup winners. More goals were scored but not during gameplay - so these 2 goal counts are not representative of the final score.(5 votes)
- Is a bar graph and a histogram same or two different concepts?
I am totally confused.(3 votes)
- They two serve different purpose. Histogram is mostly used when dealing with frequency that is data sets that occur more once. In histogram you consider the area of the box while in bar chart you don't consider the area of the box(1 vote)
- What is the typical number of furniture one person has?(4 votes)
- What purpose to dot plots serve in day to day life? Can we use them?(1 vote)
- I got u :D
Yes! We use them in everyday life, in hospitals, they use dot plots to track how many newborns there are.(3 votes)
- can dot plots help in life?(2 votes)
- i am taking this course to help me in six sigma courses , would you recomande for other courses in statistics ?(2 votes)
- what is the correlation between dot plots and frequency tables?(1 vote)
- They are two different ways of looking at the data! A dot plot is a more visual representation of a frequency table, but fundamentally, they are both representing the same data (number of goals scored in each of the past 20 World Cup games).(2 votes)
- Are dot plots and frequency tables the same thing?(1 vote)
- Frequency tables and dot plots represent the same data but are not the same. Frequency tables represent data by numbers, but dot plots represent data in dots.(2 votes)