Class 7 (Marathi)
Multiplying binomials by polynomials
Sal expresses the product (10a-3)(5a² + 7a - 1) as 50a³+55a²-31a+3. Created by Sal Khan and Monterey Institute for Technology and Education.
Want to join the conversation?
- How did Sal get 50a^3 in this video? Around1:07into the video he gets 50a^3 for his answer. Did he add the variable a and three together?(3 votes)
- To multiply terms with variables in them (for instance 10a times 5a^2), you have to :
1. Multiply the numerical coefficients : in this case, 10 times 5 = 50
2. Look for the same variable : in this case, a times a^2.
3. Write the variable with an exponent that is the sum of the exponents :
in this case, 1 + 2, giving a^3.
4. So the answer to 10a times 5a^2 is 50 a^3.
Hope this has been helpful.(16 votes)
- Whats the hardest polynomial that anyone has encountered?(4 votes)
(2345.7647x^56 + 66t^5353)(6433x^343443)(35535t^3553+ 434x^3)
Edit: I swear, if that David guy solves this-(3 votes)
- Does it matter which way you FOIL out(7 votes)
- No, you will get the same answer despite which way you start.(1 vote)
- Is there a faster way of doing it lol?(6 votes)
- Not really
But for (a + b)(c + d) where b and d are numbers
It will be a^2 + (b+d)x + (b*d)
SO, (x+3)(x+7) x^2 + 10x + 21(1 vote)
- Hey whenever Sal was doing the problem in the video and he subtracted -10a-21a how come he didn't make it -31a^2? Just wondering. :)(3 votes)
- he wasn't multiplying the polynomials he added them so the exponents stay the same because when you have -10 of something and -21 of something the something doesn't change.(5 votes)
- Wouldn't Sal need to multiply -10a by -15a^2 before trying to merge terms?(3 votes)
- Maybe writing out all the steps will help.
(10a-3)(5a² + 7a - 1) First he distributed the bigger set of parenthesis into the smaller set.
10a(5a² + 7a - 1) - 3(5a² + 7a - 1) Notice how the two terms are still being subtracted. In other words if (5a² + 7a - 1) was replaced with x it would look like 10ax - 3x. Now there is no multiplication between the two different parts with an x. Now do the rest of the distributions.
50a³ + 70a² - 10a - 15a² - 21a + 3 Sal showed what to do from here. the -3 was distrbuted into the right side, but the right side was being subtracted from the left, so there is no multiplication.
let me know if this did not help, I can try a different way of explaining.(6 votes)
- Are there other ways to solve this?(4 votes)
- No, not really. I mean you could do something like
(10a - 3)(5a² + 7a - 1) = (10a - 3)5a² + (10a - 3)7a - (10a - 3) = ...
(10a - 3)(5a² + 7a - 1) = 50a³ + 70a² - 10a - 15a² - 21a + 3 = ...,
but at the end of the day you are basically doing the same thing.(2 votes)
- I understand how to multiply polynomials but what about when they ask to simply an equation like this to get it's standard form:
-2 (p+4)^2 -3+5p
What are the steps to solve an equation like this?(2 votes)
- 1) You do not have an equation. An equation is made up on 2 expressions separated by and equals symbol. What you have is a polynomial expression.
2) You can simplify your expression. Follow PEMDAS rules.
-- Deal with the exponent: FOIL (p+4)^2
-- Distribute the -2 across the results of the FOIL. This will eliminate the parentheses.
-- Combine like terms.
-- Order the terms from highest degree to lowest degree to get your answer into standard form.
Hope this help.(4 votes)
- Can you do a dividing polynomials video? I don't completely understand that part of polynomials.(4 votes)
- I do not understand anything about polynomials and if anyone can help me out I would be very happy.(2 votes)
- Polynomials is a name for term(s) that are added, subtracted, or multiplied against each other. There is a lot of leniency of what defines a polynomial — 2x and 5 by itself is a polynomial because it is a term — however, the formal definition does not allow these terms to be divided.
There are two things about polynomials:
- They can be graphed continuously
- They can be manipulated
Going off from how one can manipulate them, you can multiply, add, subtract, and divide polynomials against other polynomials. For clarification, now we are talking about how to manipulate these polynomials, not how we define them.
I highly encourage you to watch this video regarding these things as it is essential to fully understand them in your mathematical career:
hopefully that helps !(3 votes)
We are multiplying 10a minus 3 by the entire polynomial 5a squared plus 7a minus 1. So to do this, we can just do the distributive property. We can distribute this entire polynomial, this entire trinomial, times each of these terms. We could have 5a squared plus 7a minus 1 times 10a. And then 5a squared plus 7a minus 1 times negative 3. So let's just do that. So if we have-- so let me just write it out. Let me write it this way. 10a times 5a squared plus 7a minus 1. That's that right over here. And then we can have minus 3 times 5a squared plus 7a minus 1. And that is this distribution right over here. And then we can simplify it. 10a times 5a squared-- 10 times 5 is 50. a times a squared is a to the third. 10 times 7 is 70. a times a is a squared. 10a times negative 1 is negative 10a. Then we distribute this negative 3 times all of this. Negative 3 times 5a squared is negative 15a squared. Negative 3 times 7a is negative 21a. Negative 3 times negative 1 is positive 3. And now we can try to merge like terms. This is the only a to the third term here. So this is 50a to the third. I'll just rewrite it. Now we have two a squared terms. We have 70a squared minus 15, or negative 15a squared. So we can add these two terms. 70 of something minus 15 of that something is going to be 55 of that something. So plus 55a squared. And then we also have two a terms. We have this negative 10a, and then we have this negative 21a. So if we go negative 10 minus 21, that is negative 31. That is negative 31a. And then finally, we only have one constant term over here. We have this positive 3. So plus 3. And we are done.