MAP Recommended Practice
Measuring length: golden statue
Measure an object with same-size length units that span it with no gaps or overlaps. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- What are the blue fuzzy squares supposed to resemble(159 votes)
- Sal always likes to sketch drawings and fill them in with an airbrush. That was just an example.(5 votes)
- does this mean when we measure we have to leave no space in between and start from the exact bottom?(30 votes)
- because if I put over the bottom , I would make a mistake .(8 votes)
- or 6 that will be 5(14 votes)
- why are you measuring a golden statue(9 votes)
- It is just an example to teach measurment with general units(5 votes)
- I love it how he stays in character.. XD, But it was a good idea to make a video so much fun to watch, laugh, and learn from!(11 votes)
- who making the voice(3 votes)
- It's Sal talking for both voices, but he made his voice higher to sound like a different person when he was the king talking.(8 votes)
- you should speed up or slow down the video, it really m makes math more tolerable(7 votes)
- You can adjust the speed by going in the settings. The max speed you can do is 2X and the least is 0.25X. Hope this helped.(1 vote)
- this is so funny!(6 votes)
- This was enjoyable to watch.(5 votes)
- Hello, your Majesty, what can I help you with? Oh Sal, I have such an emergency. I have commissioned a gold statue of my father's head, and I'm not sure if it's the right size. Oh, well what is the right size? Well as you know, in our kingdom we have a tradition of measuring things in terms of blue fuzzy squares. Yep, I'm aware of that. I also like to measure things in terms of blue fuzzy squares. And by law, all gold statues in our kingdom have to be exactly four blue fuzzy squares tall. Okay, that seems like a reasonable law. So what's the issue? Well I'm not sure if this statue is four blue fuzzy squares tall. Well okay, let's calm down. I think we can work through this. I have a bunch of blue fuzzy squares here. Why don't we put them next to the statue and see if we are exactly four blue fuzzy squares tall. Oh, that would be just wonderful. Here you go, here you go, your Highness. Why don't you stack them up? Oh so let me do this, okay. So that's one, two, and three blue fuzz-- Oh my God, this is an emergency! This is only three blue fuzzy squares tall! It is not tall enough! Oh no, what am I going to do? Oh wait, hold on, hold on. I don't think you have to panic just yet because when I look at how you stacked them up, and it's actually quite amazing because you somehow made these blue fuzzy squares levitate. Oh, of course, all blue fuzzy squares need to levitate. Okay, well yeah, that's neat. But if you really wanted to measure, you need to make sure that you don't have any gaps over here. So why don't you try again? So let's take these blue fuzzy squares out, and why don't you try to measure again. Oh, okay, now that makes all the sense in the world. Okay, so let me try again. So that's one, two, notice I'm not letting them, no gaps here. Yep, yep, okay, although it's already, well-- Well let me keep going Sal, stop interrupting me. Okay, okay, keep going, your Highness. Three, four, and five. Oh no, oh no, no, no, this is all wrong! It's going to be a disaster! It needs to be four, not five blue fuzzy squares tall! Wait, wait, your Highness, don't panic yet. I don't think this is quite right because you didn't start at the bottom of the statue, you started below the bottom of the statue, and you didn't end at the top of the statue, you ended above the top of the statue. So it isn't five blue fuzzy squares tall. Oh Sal, I'm just so confused. Can you just do it for me? Well I think it's better if you do it yourself. Just keep it in mind, start measuring at the bottom of the statue, and stop measuring at the top of the statue. Just make sure that you don't have any spaces in between. Okay, I'm getting tired, but I'll give it one last try. Yeah, I think that's a good idea. It's always about making a good effort on things. Okay, here I go. This is the bottom, so I'll start stacking there. This is the top, so I will stop stacking there. Okay, one, two, and I don't want any gaps, so two, three, and four. Oh, it actually looks just about right. It looks just about right. We are exactly four blue fuzzy squares tall. Oh this is just going to be a wonderful addition to the palace. Thank you so much. Well I'm glad to help you, your Highness.