Nierria earns $75 for tutoring 4 hours. To find her hourly rate, we divide her total earnings by the number of hours worked. By calculating 75 divided by 4, we discover that Nierria makes $18.75 per hour for her tutoring services. Created by Sal Khan and Monterey Institute for Technology and Education.
Want to join the conversation?
- how can i express 1 mile in 4 min???(7 votes)
- I am still confused on ratios and units? what should i do?(5 votes)
- HI! this lesson might get confused but here is a brief explanation.
A unit rate is a ratio between two different units with a denominator of one. When we divide a fraction's numerator by its denominator, the result is a value in decimal form. For example: 8/4 = 2 and 3/6 = 0.5. When we write numbers in decimal form, we can write them as a ratio with one as the denominator.
For example, we can write 2 as 2/1, and 0.5 as 0.5/1. However, since that approach can be a little clumsy, we usually drop the one. That said, it's important to remember the one is there, especially when working with unit rates.
For instance, 8 miles/4 hours = 2 miles/hour. Notice again that, while we did not include the 1, we did include the unit 'hour' Miles per hour is a familiar expression, as are unit rates such as:
Hope this helps!(22 votes)
- Is there any video that explains and defines what Rates are? If not, can someone help me and define it?(3 votes)
- Jacqueline spends 20% of her money on sweets and 32% on fares. if she spent $8 on sweets what is. (1) the amount of money she has left (2) The amount of money spent on fares (3) The amount she has left. I need help with this problem I am working on finding percentages using the unitary method on a calculator. But no matter what I do, I can't figure out the answers to this problem. what am I doing wrong?(6 votes)
- Set up a proportion using the information for sweets: 8/n = 20/100
Cross multiply: 20n = 800
Divide by 20: n = $40
This means Jacqueline started with $40
You can find the amount spent on fares by doing: x/40 = 32/100
Cross multiply: 100x = 1280
Divide by 100: x = $12.80
So, she spent $12.80 on fares
To find amount left, do: 40 - 8 - 12.80
Hope this helps.(11 votes)
- who else used a calculator for this?(8 votes)
- Reduce the following rates to their unit rate forms. Write the numerator of each unit rate in the box provided.
$40 per 8 Hours(4 votes)
- This is boring but helpful I think🥲(6 votes)
- At1:58, the company should charge for area not number of offices because it could be huge and another one is small and both are then same price.(6 votes)
- Sir you need to tell us how to do it if it was in a different circumstance not every problem will be this convienient(2 votes)
- All unit rates problems use division. And, the problem tells you what unit rate they are looking for. Find the description of the unit rate given in the problem. For example, if it asks for:
Unit price, you do Price / units and divide.
Miles per hour, you do Miles / hours and divide.
Wages per hour, you do total wages / hours and divide.
Hope this helps.(5 votes)
- [Instructor] We're told that Nierria earns $75 for 4 hours of tutoring. How much does Nierria earn for 1 hour of tutoring? Pause this video, and see if you can figure that out. Well, the key here is $75 for 4 hours of tutoring. And there's a couple of ways you can think about it. The ratio here is $75 for every 4 hours. So if you wanted one hour of tutoring, well, it's just going to be 1/4 of the $75, or you could just take 75 and divide by 4. Another way you could think about it, you could say Nierria gets $75 for every 4 hours, which is another way of saying that Nierria is going to earn 75 divided by 4 dollars per hour. So really we just have to figure out what 75 divided by 4 is. So let's do a little bit of long division. So 4 goes into 7 one time, 1 times 4 is 4. We're going to subtract. 7 minus 4 is 3. Bring down that 5. 4 goes into 35 eight times. 8 times 4 is 32. I will subtract again. I get a 3. Well now I'm going to get some decimals here, so let me bring down a zero. 4 goes into 30 seven times. 7 times 4 is 28. Subtract, and then I get a 2. Bring down another zero. 4 goes into 20 five times. 5 times 4 is 20, and I am done, no more remainder here. So we get that Nierria earns 18.75 dollars, dollars per hour, or you can just say that she makes $18.75 per hour.