MAP Recommended Practice
- Strategies for dividing multiples of 10, 100, and 1000
- Divide by taking out factors of 10
- Long division with remainders: 2292÷4
- Long division with remainders: 3771÷8
- Introduction to dividing by 2-digits
- Basic multi-digit division
- Dividing by 2-digits: 9815÷65
- Dividing by 2-digits: 7182÷42
- Dividing by a 2-digits: 4781÷32
- Division by 2-digits
Long division with remainders: 3771÷8
To divide 3,771 by 8 using long division, start by dividing the first two digits, 37, by 8. This results in a quotient of 4. Next, bring down the next digit, 7, and divide 57 by 8, which goes 7 times. Finally, bring down the last digit, 1, and divide 11 by 8. This yields a quotient of 1 and a remainder of 3. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- How would you simplify an answer with a remainder?(37 votes)
- Good question, you can either convert it into a mixed number or taking a step further convert your answer into a decimal.
25/4=6 remainder 1
To remove the remainder we can divide it by the divisor and convert our answer into a mixed number
25/4= 6 1/4
Taking step further we can convert the fraction 1/4 into a decimal, 0.25 so
6 1/4 = 6.25(27 votes)
- Why is long division called long division? If there is a long division, is there a short division that is easier?(12 votes)
- Just simple division like 6/3=2 or 100/20=5. Basically division that requires only one step.(6 votes)
- Upvote this post for Cookies(13 votes)
- Is it possible to determine if the quotient is even or odd just by looking at the remainder?(7 votes)
- No, you can end up with the same remainder when dividing using any quotient,
for example 5/4 = 1 R 1 and 6/5 = 1 R 1 so in this case, R1 could come from an even or an odd number.(4 votes)
- Is there a video on checking long division with multiplication(5 votes)
- Multiply the quotient (answer) you got by the divisor (the number you are dividing by). Then add the remainder you got. The result should be the dividend (the number you are dividing).
Have a blessed, wonderful day!(4 votes)
- How would you be able to turn the remainder into a fraction and then turn it back to decimal form?(6 votes)
- Can I get help regarding 3272÷8(0 votes)
Think about it like this, 32 is divisible by 8, and it is in the hundreds place, so 4 would be in the hundreds, 72 is 9*8, so 9 would be in the ones place.(11 votes)
- what is 1123 divided by 3(3 votes)
- It will be 374 R 1(6 votes)
- Can someone give me a video link so i can learn how to work with remainders? Thanks for your help :)(2 votes)
- What is 459756935485 divided by 5= ?(3 votes)
Let's divide 3,771 by 8. So we're going to do a little bit of long division is the way we set it up. So the first thing we want to do and think about is, well, does 8 go into 3? Well, no, 8 does not go into 3. So we'll keep moving. Does 8 go into 37? Sure. 8 times 4 is 37. 8 times 5 is 40. So that's too big. So 8 goes into 37 four times. 4 times 8 is 32. And we subtract, and we get 37 minus 32 is 5. And just so you have a little glimpse of what's actually going on here, we're really saying how many times does 8 go into 3,700? And we're saying that 8 goes into 3,700 400 times. There's 4 sitting in the hundreds place, and that 400 times 8 is 3,200. And then when you subtract 3,200 from 3,700, you're getting 500. But we'll revert back to just the traditional long division mechanics. But that's what's really going on here. When we say 8 goes into 37 four times, we're really saying 8 goes into 3,700 400 times. But let's keep going. So now, we have this 5 to deal with, which is, as we already talked about, it's in the hundreds place. It's really a 500. But now, let's bring down another place value. So let's bring down the 7. And let's think about how many times does 8 go into 57. And we're really thinking about how much 8 goes into 570. But 8 goes into 57-- let's see, 8 times 5 is 40. 8 times 6 is 48. 8 times 7 is 54. So let's go 7 times. 7 times 8. Oh, actually, I did that right. 8 times 7-- my multiplication tables are weak. It is 8 times-- so it does go in seven times. But 7 times 8 isn't 54; it's 56. I always have trouble with that one. It is 56. And so now, we subtract again. And 57 minus 56 is 1. And now we have one more place value to bring down. We have-- let me do it in in a color I haven't used yet. I'll do blue. We have a 1 to bring down. And now we're literally saying, how many times does 8 go into 11? Well, 8 goes into 11 one time. 1 times 8 is 8. And we are left with-- because we have no more places to bring down-- 11 minus 8 is 3. So 8 goes into 3,771 471 times, and the remainder here is 3.