MAP Recommended Practice
Review the size of cups, pints, quarts, and gallons and how to convert between them. Then, try some practice problems.
Summary of customary units of volume
What is volume?
Volume measures capacity. For example, the volume of a bowl is the amount of space inside the bowl or how much water, for example it would take to fill the bowl.
In the US customary system of measurement, the most common units of volume are cups, pints, quarts and gallons.
How big are customary units of volume?
A juice box contains about
cup of liquid.
A pint is equal to
cups. A water bottle contains about pint of liquid.
A quart is equal to
pints. A large shampoo bottle contains about quart of liquid.
A gallon is equal to
quarts. A milk jug contains about gallon of liquid.
Want to learn more about customary units of volume? Check out this video.
Practice set 1: Estimating volume
Identify the most reasonable unit to measure the volume of a glass of orange juice.
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise,
Converting larger units to smaller units
To convert larger units to smaller units we multiply the number of larger units by the green conversion factor for the appropriate smaller units.
Example: Converting gallons to quarts
Example: Converting pints to cups
Converting smaller units to larger units
To convert smaller units to larger units we divide the number of smaller units by the purple conversion factor for the appropriate larger units.
Example: Converting pints to quarts
Want to learn more about converting between units of volume? Check out this video.
Want to join the conversation?
- How many pints are in a cup?(20 votes)
- 7fl oz = how many millimeters(4 votes)
- you cant convert fl oz. to millimeters, like you cant convert volume to length. fl oz. is a way of measuring volume, and millimeters is a way of measuring length. now you could say " how many millimeters is in a centimeter" (10) and people could answer that or " how many milliliters is in a liter" (1000) but you cant say " how many millimeters are in a fl oz. " it is like comparing apples and oranges. but if you had just misspelled milliliters the answer is 207.0147(18 votes)
- how many pints are in 10 cups(4 votes)
- why are pints bigger than cups i mean if you ask for a pint of milk it isnt that big but if you ask for a cup of milk it is more than a pint(5 votes)
- how many quarts are in a cup(4 votes)
- how much cups are in a gallon(4 votes)
- first break gallons into quarts = 4 quarts 1 quart = 2 pints so that = 8 pints 2 cups go into a pint so we get 16 cups go into a gallon(7 votes)
- How many ounces are in a Ton(4 votes)
- If each pound equals 16 ounces, and there are 2000 pounds in a ton, how do you get the answer?
16 ounces x 2000 = 32,000 ounces(6 votes)
- do you get confused by the qarts into cups(5 votes)