In daily language, we all use the word curve to mean "not straight" but does the word curve have the same meaning in math? Can a straight line be a curve? Also, what makes a curve a 'simple curve'? Created by Aanand Srinivas.
Want to join the conversation?
- Definition of curve is "A curve is a shape or a line which is smoothly and continuously drawn in a plane having a bent or turns in it". So according to the definition of curve, can we say that any 2D shapes or plane figures are also a curve in geometry?(1 vote)
- If I am right Curve is a line with start and end with no gaps .
Is straight line is curve ? or we are talking about line segment
cause straight line has no start and end but line segment have .(1 vote)
- soooo.... the straight line is curve or not, this has confused me...(0 votes)
- This definition erases the distinction between curves and straight lines for no apparent purpose. Surely there is something fundamentally different between curvature and straightness... so why not preserve the language that says so?(0 votes)
- At the last , I would call it an Open Curve , because it is not closed or does not start from one point and end at the same point later. Do you agree?(0 votes)