Get ready for Precalculus
Sal simplifies (5x² + 8x - 3) + (2x² - 7x + 13x). Created by Sal Khan and Monterey Institute for Technology and Education.
Want to join the conversation?
- At0:20, Sal says that you can get rid of the parentheses. According to PEMDAS don't you have to complete everything inside of the parentheses before you move on? Why is it okay to ignore the parentheses?(9 votes)
- I'm pretty sure that this only applies if the polynomials inside the parentheses are not in simplest form. If they are in simplest form, then you can remove the parentheses. At least, that's how I do it.(6 votes)
- I don't get why -5t - 3t equals -8t on my textbook, if the subtraction sign also applies to 3t as a negative sign, wouldn't the answer be -2t because you have to change the subtrahend every time, -3t turns into 3t, then you subtract, it becomes -2t. I don't really get it.(3 votes)
- That only applies if you are subtracting a negative number. So if the textbook said -5t - - 3t, you would be absolutely right.
The best way to look at it would be as -5t + -3t = -8t.(32 votes)
- Why do you have to distribute a negative?(5 votes)
- Good question. If you have -4 -3 and you want to factor out a negative one, you would write -1(4+3). Think of the negative sign and the parenthesis as a negative one.(17 votes)
- Is the process the same when you are subtracting?(5 votes)
- Yes. You follow the same process, but flip the sign of each term in the polynomial that you are subtracting. Then you add like normal.(8 votes)
- how would you combine the terms if they had different exponents(5 votes)
- In that case, you wouldn't be able to combine the terms. Could you give me an example so that I could walk you through it? Some scenarios will allow you to add different exponents (after distribution)(8 votes)
- Add the polynomial functions: \large f\left(x\right)=4x^2+3x-5
and \large g\left(x\right)=2x^2-x+1.
Combine the like terms and type in your answer in equation form by clicking on the "Insert Content" with an arrow and select "Equation".(3 votes)
- You should keep it neater, so get rid of the coding type text. just have f(x) = 4x^2 + 3x - 5 and g(x) = 2x^2 - x + 1
Since you are adding the polynomials you have 4x^2 + 3x - 5 + 2x^2 - x + 1.
To add them you do exactly as the instructions say, combine like terms. This just means look for matching variables. For instance 5x^4 - 6x^4 would be like terms since they have x^4. Combining like terms just means to do what the math says to the coefficients. so 5x^4 - 6x^4 means take 5 - 6 since the two are being subtracted. so 5x^4 - 6x^4 = -1x^4 or just -x^4
The three kinds of terms are those that have x^2, x and no variable at all. I will get you started, the non variable terms are -5 and + 1 so combining the gets you -4. can you take it from there?
I will give a different example to further help.
x^4 - 7x^3 + 3 - 5x^4 + 8x^3 + 3
here are the like terms
x^4 - 5x^4 = -4x^4
-7x^3 +8x^3 = x^3
3 + 3 = 6
So now you have -4x^4 + x^3 + 6
Let me know if yous till don't understand(4 votes)
- me looking at these questions that were commented years ago and the nostalgia comes of doing khan academy(4 votes)
- so in my assignment I have (x^6+9x^4-4x^2-x)+(3x^4+2x^5+3) But as you can see I have 2 more number with X on them idk what to do about them(2 votes)
- If the exponents aren't the same, you can't combine them and they can be left alone (i.e. written in the final answer).
We have x^6, but no other term with degree 6, so this term is left alone. We have 9x^4 + 3x^4, which is 9 + 3 = 12x^4. No other terms from here can be combines because we have 2x^5, 4x^2, -x, and 3. So, the final answer should look something like x^6 + 2x^5 + 12x^4 -4x^2 - x - 3. Also remember to write in descending order of degree (highest degree to lowest).(5 votes)
- Bro what is this fr I’m so confused(3 votes)
- This may help
The given expression is: (5x² + 8x - 3) + (2x² - 7x + 13x)
First, let's combine the like terms within each set of parentheses:
In the first set of parentheses, we have: 5x² + 8x - 3
In the second set of parentheses, we have: 2x² - 7x + 13x
Now, let's combine the like terms within each set:
For the first set, there are no like terms to combine.
For the second set, the like terms are: -7x and 13x, which combine to give 6x.
Now, we have:
5x² + 8x - 3 + 2x² + 6x
Next, let's combine the like terms across both sets:
5x² + 2x² = 7x²
8x + 6x = 14x
Putting it all together, the simplified form of the expression is:
7x² + 14x - 3(2 votes)
We're asked to simplify 5x squared plus 8x minus 3 plus 2x squared minus 7x plus 13x. So really, all we have to do is we have to combine like terms-- terms that have x raised to the same power. And the first thing we can do, we can actually get rid of these parentheses right here, because we have this whole expression, and then we're adding it to this whole expression. The parentheses really don't change our order of operations here. So let me just rewrite it once without the parentheses. So we have 5x squared plus 8x minus 3 plus 2x squared. If this was a minus then we'd have to distribute the negative sign, but it's not. So plus 2x squared minus 7x plus 13x. Now let's just look at the different terms that have different degrees of x. Let's start with the x squared terms. So you have a 5x squared term here and you have a 2x squared term right there. So 5 of something plus 2 of that same something is going to be 7 of that something. So that's going to be 7x squared. And then let's look at the x terms here. So we have an 8x right there. We have a minus 7x. And then we have a plus 13x. So if you have 8 of something minus 7 of something, you're just going to have 1 of that something. And then if you add 14 of that something more, you're going to 15. So this is going to be plus 15x. 8x minus 7x-- oh, sorry. You're going to have 14x. 8 minus 7 is 1 plus 13 is 14. Plus 14x. That's these three terms. 8x minus 7x plus 13x. And then finally, you have a negative 3-- or minus 3, depending on how you want to view it. And that's the only constant term. You could say it's x times x to the 0. But it's a constant term. It's not be multiplied by x. And that's the only one there, so minus 3. And we've simplified it as far as we can go. We are done.