Geometry (all content)
- Intro to the Pythagorean theorem
- Pythagorean theorem example
- Pythagorean theorem intro problems
- Use Pythagorean theorem to find right triangle side lengths
- Use Pythagorean theorem to find isosceles triangle side lengths
- Right triangle side lengths
- Use area of squares to visualize Pythagorean theorem
Practice using the Pythagorean theorem to solve for missing side lengths on right triangles. Each question is slightly more challenging than the previous.
Find the value of in the triangle shown below.
Want more Pythagorean theorem practice? Check out this exercise.
Want to join the conversation?
- Is there any way on how to do Pythagorean theorem easier im having trouble understanding(39 votes)
- i wonder how we figured out the pythagoream theorem(23 votes)
- It was proven by Pythagoras. There are several popular proofs (even one done by a former US president [Garfield]). Look up proof of Pythagoras Theorem on YouTube.(5 votes)
- there is so much history in the comments(29 votes)
- So, for the Pythagorean Theorem you do a squared plus b squared equals c squared. Why is a+c=b a thing? I don't get it.(0 votes)
- Just a quick question, so in a test it could say find the distance of the other 2 sides of the triangle. Can you find out the other 2 sides using the pythagorean theorem or is there another way to find that out?(10 votes)
- how can i find the b (the one one the side thats straight)(2 votes)
- you would instead do c^2-a^2=b^2. if you are missing "a" you can also swap those and do c^2 - b^2 = a^2(3 votes)
- how do
I do this?(4 votes)
- Hey Jordan! Here's the process: a² + b² = c². C is the hypotenuse or the longest side of a triangle. B and A are the adjacent and opposite sides. To solve for the unknown side, just substitute the variables with the given numbers, then solve what's necessary, and you will get your answer! here is an example: a = 5, b - x (unknown side), and c = 10. Step 1 (write it out): 5² + x² = 10². Step 2 (solve the squares): 25 x² = 100. Step 3 (necessary solving): 1 - subtaract 25 from both sides: x² = 75. Now you have your answer: x = √75. Hope this helped!(3 votes)