Geometry (all content)
Sal solves a word problem involving distance between points on quadrant 1 of a coordinate plane. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- How do you remember which axis goes first? Is it Y axis or X axis?(29 votes)
- Chloe you know because the X axis comes first and the Y axis comes next like here's an example (9,8)so the 9 is the X axis and the 8 is the Y axis so there you go :3 :>(27 votes)
- At 0.:25 what does "blocks" mean? (Serious question)(10 votes)
- assume you have 5.7 * 14.73. First number has decimal after 1st digit, second number has after 2 digits.
You can directly multiply without seeing decimal and put decimal after third number (1+2) from left to the answer. You may get proof if you write it as
(57/10) * (1473/100) = (57*1473) / (10*100) = 83961/1000 = 83.961(13 votes)
- um...do you have do do the y axis or the x axis?(6 votes)
- is this garenty to give me an answer what is 5-5(6 votes)
- if it was negative would u bring it down(4 votes)
- how do you know which is the y or x axis because i keep getting it wrong(4 votes)
- I've already watched this video but i still don't understand but after watching it it starts to make sense.(5 votes)
We're told that Naomi lives at 2nd Avenue and 3rd Street representing 2, 3 on the graph below. Her school is it 4th Avenue and 10th street, representing 4, 10 on the graph. She walks over to 4th Avenue and up to 10th Street. Plot her home and school on the map. How many blocks does Naomi walk to school? So let's plot her home first, 2nd Avenue and 3rd Street, which they are giving us the coordinates 2, 3. So the x-axis right over here, this is representing the avenues. And then the y-axis, or the vertical axis, this represents the street. So 2, 3. So this right over here is 2nd Avenue and 3rd Street. So you see here, we went to 2nd Avenue and then we went up to 3rd Street. This is where she lives at home. We could have also said 3rd Street and 2nd Avenue. Now her school is a 4th Avenue and 10th street. And now we're going to go, so if we start at the origin, we go to 4th Avenue and then go up 10 to 10th Street. So this is the coordinate 4, 10. So this is where our home is. This is where a school is. They say she walks over to 4th Avenue and up to 10th Street. So she walks from 2nd Avenue to 4th Avenue and then up to 10th Street. How many blocks does Naomi walk to school? Well as she walks from 2nd Avenue to 4th Avenue, she's going to walk 2 blocks. 1 block and 2 blocks. You shouldn't get confused by they're actually marking off with these lines every half a block. So that's 1 block to 3rd Avenue, 2 blocks to 4th Avenue. So that's 2 blocks so far. And then she goes from 3rd Street to 10th Street. Well, if you go from 3rd Street to 10th Street, that's going to be 7 more blocks. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. So 2 in the horizontal direction and then 7 in the vertical direction. So that's 9 total blocks.