Sal solves addition and subtraction problems with number 10 or less.
Want to join the conversation?
- So 1 + 4 is equal to 4 + 1 in0:45. Is this the commutative law?(19 votes)
- Commutative law, Commutative Property of Addition... there is a certain thrill in learning proper names for common operations through comments in early math!(9 votes)
- so 1+4=5 and 4+1=5 3+2=5 2+3=5(4 votes)
- Correct. There are infinite ways to make five though, so I wouldn't attempt to try all of them. :P(2 votes)
- why does it make me watch them 2 times(1 vote)
- why cant subtraction be backwards?(3 votes)
- you can subtract a negative number too , it same thing plu the absolute value of that negative number , you will learn that in grade 5 .(4 votes)
- Is it related addition and subtraction(3 votes)
- Addition and subtraction are related with the fact that adding and then subtracting the same number will give you 0. Basically one undos the other.(1 vote)
- when your doing this you can have it in different numbers and it can equal the same amount(2 votes)
- How do you add or subtract negative numbers(1 vote)
- Type "add and subtracting negative numbers" in the search box at the top of the page and you'll get a bunch of answers that are guaranteed to satisfy your needs.(2 votes)
- [Voiceover] So we're given four different equations here and each of them have a blank, and we need to fill in that blank with a missing number. So let's do each of these. So on the left hand side of this equation, we have one plus four, so one plus four is the same thing as... Well, one plus four is five. If we take four, and if you add one more, you're gonna have five. So now, we finished that one, because one plus four is the same thing as five. Now here, we're saying four plus something is the same thing as five. Well, we just figured out that one plus four, or four plus one is the same thing as five. So four plus one is five. So notice there, we have the equation, four plus one is the same thing as five. Equals means that what's on the left is the same thing as what you have on the right. Now we have blank plus two is equal to five. So what plus two is the same thing as five? Well, three plus two is equal to five, or five is equal to three plus two. Now you go here. Well now you have three plus blank is equal to five. Well, we already figured it out, because three plus two is equal to five. So we can write three plus two is equal to five, and then we can check ourselves. And then we can keep going. So now we have some subtraction. So what's the same thing as nine minus three? So if I have nine things, and if I were to take away three of them, I'm going to have six left. Nine minus three is the same thing as six. 10 minus blank is equal to six. So what do I have to take away from 10 in order to have six left over? Well, if I take four away from 10, I'm going to have six left over. Now something minus one is the same thing as six. Well, seven minus one is going to be equal to six. And then we get eight minus blank is equal to six. So how many do I have to take away from eight in order to get to six? Well, if I take away one, I'm going to get seven. If I take away two, I'm going to have six. So eight minus two is equal to six.