Intro to division: FAQ
Frequently asked questions about the introduction to division.
What is division?
Division is a way of sharing or grouping things equally. In math, we often write it with the division symbol, . For example, means we are dividing into equal parts.
How are division and multiplication related?
Division and multiplication are basically opposite operations. Multiplication involves taking two numbers and combining them to create a larger number. For example, or results in .
Division, on the other hand, takes one number and breaks it into a certain number of equal parts. For example, results in .
What do the numbers in a division equation mean?
The first number in a division equation is the dividend, or the number we're dividing up. The second number is the divisor, or the number of parts we're breaking the dividend into. The answer to a division equation is called the quotient.
What if I don't know my division facts?
There are different strategies we can use if we don't know our division facts. For example, we might be able to use repeated subtraction, draw pictures, or use multiplication facts to help us.
Why do we need to learn division?
Division is a useful skill that helps us solve many problems in math and in life. For example, we can use division to:
- Find out how many groups we can make with a certain number of items.
- Find out how many items are in each group when we know the total and the number of groups.
- Compare the sizes of different groups or fractions.
- Find the missing factor or quotient in a multiplication or division equation.
Want to join the conversation?
Im already starting to get the hang of division
- Its really easy when you learn the basics!(4 votes)
- do you want to make school better(12 votes)
- Yes, I want to make school better.(7 votes)
- how are you doing(6 votes)
- how can the moon cover up the sun isn't the sun larger then the moon?(5 votes)
- Long division is something u learn in 4th grade. Its hard to explain without sowing it but i'll tell u complicated at first but there's a pattern. It gets simpler.(8 votes)
- Long division is when you divide big number for example 300 divided by 20 or maybe 125 divided by 5.You could try many ways like multiplying to divide. You could also use Divide, Multiply, Subtract, And bring it down.So basically you divide a part.Then you multiply to divide a part.Then you subtract the part divided.Then you repeat untill it is done.(0 votes)
- i love this im getting so good at divesion now because of this(5 votes)
- I meant to say showing instead of sowing.(5 votes)
- 💵💵💵💵💸💸💸💸💰💰💰💰💰💰(4 votes)
- What happens if we put the correct answer and it's wrong. For example, 4x2 well it equals 8. and it's 20. Sometimes it does that. So please fix it.(4 votes)
- That always happens on my devices?!(2 votes)