Three digit addition word problems
Work through a word problems that involve 3-digit addition.
Want to join the conversation?
- is there any other ways we could subtract? the video was not bad it gave some details and numbers addig and subtracting is easy it shouldent be that hard we can use number lines or agumritum to slove and make things easeir to slove math problems this is a great video and cucycleing and underlineing is great i did that before and it helped me to remember the important things we are sloveing and that was a helpful video do u have any other math videos? i can tell uesing the number line in the video is helpful espesally useing numbers,pictures and words could help people under stand math(13 votes)
- how are you so good at this math(7 votes)
- You train your stamina and ask your parents to teach you ways to solve problems.(4 votes)
- are there lots of ways to add and subtract?(6 votes)
- Not really, it's all basically the same thing, there are multiple ways to think about I suppose.(6 votes)
- does someone know what are kilograms?(7 votes)
- why are we talking about science when we are doing math?!!?!?!(5 votes)
- I so agree with you(4 votes)
- these questions are too hard(6 votes)
- Becuse hes trying to teach us hard math i think(2 votes)
- I wish I was that good at math.(5 votes)
- Good job khanacademy(5 votes)
- how the hard numbers are not easy(4 votes)
- [Instructor] We're told, the table gives the amounts of materials Aya recycled. So we have the different materials here, and then it gives the various amounts. How many kilograms of paper and aluminum did Aya recycle? So pause this video and see if you can figure this out. Okay, so we're thinking about paper and aluminum, so paper is right over here. She recycled 277 kilograms of paper. And aluminum is right over here. She recycled 134 kilograms of aluminum. And so we want the combination, or the sum, of paper and aluminum, so it's going to be 277 kilograms plus 134 kilograms. So we really need to figure out what 277 plus 134 is, and in multiple videos, we have talked about how there's many different ways of approaching this. We could say, well let's just break up the 134. We could start at, actually let me do this on a number line. That sometimes is a fun thing to do. So if we were to just say, this is our number line, and we're going to start at 277 right over there. So first, we could add 100, because we have 100 right over there, so let's do that. If we add 100, so plus 100, where does it get us? Well if we add 100 here, we get to 377. So 300, I'll just write, 77. And then we could add three 10s, or 30. So then we're going to add 30. So let's add 30, so plus 30. What does that get us? So this is interesting. If you add 30 to 370, you would get to 400, and then we have another seven there, so that gets us to 407. So then we get to 407. And once again, this is just one way to try to think about it. And then, last but not least, we could add the four. So then you say, we're there right now, and then we add plus four, and seven plus four is 11, so 407 plus four is 411. So how many kilograms of paper and aluminum did Aya recycle? Would be 411 kilograms. Kilo, kilograms, and we're done.