Comparing numbers on the number line
Sal uses number line to compare numbers less than or equal to 10. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- Can the number line be extended?(9 votes)
- It could be extended forever.(6 votes)
- What happen when they use negative number like:
What is greater than -2 ?
What will be the answer if this was one of the problems?(5 votes)
- If that was a question the correct answers would be a, b and c.
Since: -2 < -1 < 0 < 2.(15 votes)
- What are negative numbers?(2 votes)
- Negative numbers are numbers that go below 0!
for example, this is how they would look on a number line.
-5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5(1 vote)
- Is greater then always to the right of the number and less then always to the left of the number?(3 votes)
- do comparing numbers help us ?(5 votes)
- Yes as Barrett Southworth said you will use this well into your adult life. I'm in high school and still use it today. ;-)(5 votes)
- why after every question we have a video to watch ?(5 votes)
- To help you learn about the topic before you do it(2 votes)
- I really need help on division can I get a video(5 votes)
- Yes you can. Try searching division at the top of your screen(6 votes)
- When doing mental math do most of you visualize a number line or use a different technique?(3 votes)
- When doing mental math, I often break the numbers into parts. For example, when I add
82 + 123, I would break it into parts:
100 + 80 + 20 + 3 + 2. Sometimes I mentally simplify the equation too; once I break it into parts, I add some of them together, to simplifying it to
100 + 100 + 5. Once completing the equation, the answer would be
- Will this be on the GED test(4 votes)
- no it will not, GED test is to see if you will pass high school, this is kind of like a prep for the harder things to come.(4 votes)
- I think number lines can go to a billion(3 votes)
- Yes. You are right. Once at a billion, it can keep going forever.(3 votes)
Voiceover:Which numbers are greater than six? Select all that apply. We see six here on the number line, so the numbers that are greater than six are going to be the ones that are to the right of six on the number line. We see that we're increasing beyond six as we go to the right. Six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Seven is greater than six, eight is greater than six, nine is greater than six, and 10 is greater than six, and we could keep going. 11 is greater than six, and 12, and on and on and on. Which of these are greater than six? Well we see 10 is to the right, is on the right hand side of six, eight is also to the right of six but four is to the left of six. Four is less than six. These are the two numbers that are greater than, the two choices that are greater than six. Which numbers are less than six? Well that's all of these numbers right over here. The numbers to the left of six. Nine is definitely not less than six but four is. Notice four is to the left of six and three is even more to the left of six, so four and three are definitely less than six. When every day life when you're thinking of well if you have four things, or you have three things you have less than someone who has six things. In every day life if you have 10 bananas, you have a greater number of bananas than someone who has six bananas.