Learn about how to use a place value table to break up a number.
Want to join the conversation?
- Does Khan Academy do all sorts of math?(50 votes)
- does kahn academy have division?(14 votes)
- what is 10 +10(7 votes)
- How is it posible to add in the thousands as hundreds.😊(4 votes)
- thousands are 10 times bigger than the hundreds. if we were counting binary, it will be times 2 instead of times 10.(4 votes)
- why can't we just put the whole number in one answer box?(6 votes)
- Dose kanh acadamy make videos to help.(4 votes)
- does khan academy do 4th grade math(2 votes)
- [Instructor] What were going to do in this video is think a little bit about place value tables and sometimes they're referred to as place value charts. In previous videos, we've already talked about the idea of place value, and a place value table or a place value chart is just a way to say how much we have, how much value we have in each place in a very, very clear way. So, here they say use the place value chart to write 60,229. And, this is the place value table or place value chart right over here. They say, enter a digit, one-digit number in each box of the place value chart. So really, all they're saying is how many 10 thousands do we have? How many thousands? How many hundreds? How many tens? And, how many ones? And like always, it's always a good idea to try to have a go at it before I do it with you. So, why don't you do that? Why don't you pause the video and on a little piece of scratch paper say how many 10 thousands are in 60,229? How many thousands are there? How many hundreds? How many tens? And, how many ones? All right, now let's do this together. So, we could start at the left in the 10 thousands place. This is the ones place. This is the tens place. Let me do that a little bit neater. So, this is ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, 10 thousands. So, we can see that we have six 10 thousands. So, all we would do is say, we'd put a six there. We have six 10 thousands. And then, how many thousands? Well, that would be one place over to the right. This is interesting. We can see very clearly, we actually have zero thousands. So, zero thousands. You might say, hey. When you say this out you say 60,229. Don't we have 60 thousands? Well, you already accounted for that in the six 10 thousands. Six 10 thousands is 60,000. But just in the thousands place, you have none. And then, we move on to the hundreds place. You can see very clearly we have two hundreds, and then we can go to the tens place. And, I've written over it a little bit, but we have two tens. And then last but not least, we have nine ones. And, we're done. And so, the whole point of this video is to just get you comfortable with this type of format with a place value table or a place value chart, and all it is, is a way of really clearly writing out how much value you have in each place in a number like this.