Learn to convert hours, minutes, and seconds. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- how many second are there in a year(18 votes)
- could someone explain why 5/6 minutes = 50 seconds? :)(8 votes)
- Every 1/6 is 1 ten units (in this case seconds) because if you have 6 10's you'll have 60 units (in this case the unit is seconds) so if 6/6 is 60 seconds and you removed one ten then you'll have 50 seconds. If that was confusing I can explain it in a different way.(10 votes)
- what if it was 5 seconds ? How do you convert that into minutes?(6 votes)
- I think that would be 1/12 of a minute as 5 seconds is 5/60 of a minute. 5/60 simplified is 1/12.(5 votes)
- it still doesn't make sense.. could you be more specific?(1 vote)
- So the video is trying to show you how to figure out how many seconds are in a given number of minutes or how many minutes are in a given number of hours. Instead of actually counting this out, you can just remember that one minute has sixty seconds in it and that one hour has sixty minutes in it, so if you have 7 minutes and you're trying to figure out how many seconds are in that. All you really need to do is multiply 7 by 60. Similarly, to find how many minutes are in a given number of hours, you do the same thing. If you're trying to find the number of seconds in a certain amount of hours, you would multiply by 3600. (the number of seconds in an hour)(9 votes)
- This is not working what do I do? Do i wait or just go on something else and look for a video(5 votes)
- what is kilometers and meters compared?(2 votes)
- so if you were to do 2 hours and 30 minutes how would you do that?(2 votes)
- 2 hours and 30 minutes in seconds:
1 hour are 3600 seconds, times 2 is 7200 seconds,
30 minutes are half an hour, that means 1800
So 2 hours and 30 minutes are 9000 seconds ;)(4 votes)
- I am so confused about the 5/6 min =How many sec(3 votes)
- Remember that there are 60 seconds in a minute. 1/6 of 60 is 10. Likewise, 5/6 of 60 is 50. So, 5/6 of a minute is 50 seconds.(1 vote)
- how many seconds are in a decade(1 vote)
We have multiple lengths of time here, and they're measured in minutes. So what we want to do is say, well, what's an equivalent number of seconds? And so the first one is pretty straightforward. 1 minute is equal to 60 seconds. By definition, a second is 1/60 of a minute. But what about 5 minutes? Well, we could try to visualize that. If 1 minute-- so let's say that is 1 minute-- if that is equal to 60 seconds, then 5 minutes-- let's just make five copies of this. So that's 1, 2, minutes, 3, minutes, 4 minutes, and then 5 minutes. So you see that 5 minutes would be 5 times 60 seconds. And 5 times 60 is 300. So here you have so this is going to be 5 times 60, which is equal to 300 seconds. So what about 10 minutes? Well, same idea. 10 times 60 is 600 seconds. And what about 60 minutes? Well, 60 minutes or 60 seconds per minute times 60 minutes is equal to 3,600 seconds. So that's interesting. Let's take things a little bit further other. Let's convert between hours, minutes, and seconds. So let's start off with something that's a little bit more straightforward. Let's say that we have 1 hour. Well, we know by definition 1 hour is equal to 60 minutes. And how many seconds is 60 minutes equal to? Well, we just figured that out. 60 minutes times 60 seconds per minute gets us to 3,600 seconds. Now, what about 2 hours? Well, it would be the same exact idea. 60 minutes per hour, if I have 2 hours, it's going to be 2 times 60. 2 hours times 60 minutes per hour gets us to 120. Well, how many seconds is that going to be? Well, there's a couple of ways you could think about it. You could take 120 minutes times 60 seconds per minute. Or you could say 2 hours times 3,600 seconds per hour. So let's do it that way. So two 2 times 3,600 seconds per hour gets us to 7,200 seconds. Now, what if we were to say 10 hours? Well, once again, 10 times 60, 10 hours times 60 minutes per hour would get us to 600 minutes. And if we want to think in terms of seconds, 10 hours times 3,600 seconds per hour gets us to-- well, it's going to be 3,600 tens, which would be 36,000, or 10 times 36 hundred, or 10 times 3,600.