- Converting metric units of length
- Convert to smaller units (mm, cm, m, & km)
- Converting feet to inches
- Converting yards into inches
- Convert to smaller units (in, ft, yd, & mi)
- Metric units of length review (mm, cm, m, & km)
- US Customary units of length review (in, ft, yd, & mi)
Learn convert kilometers, meters, and centimeters. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- how do you convert 75cm into meters
and millimeters there is no video for that(8 votes)
- A meter is 100 centimeters, so 75 centimeters is 0.75 meters.
There are 10 millimeters in a centimeter, so 75 centimeters is 750 millimeters.(7 votes)
- a meter is 1000(4 votes)
- Do people use hectameter in math?(5 votes)
- This video seems a little complicated don't you think?(5 votes)
- how do you convert 12 L into mL? I don't know what mL means(3 votes)
- what are centimeters meters decimeters decameters millimeters ?(2 votes)
- Units of length based on the meter. (The meter itself was originally defined as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole, but has been redefined in terms of a certain number of wavelengths of a certain emission line of krypton-86.)
The centi, deci and so on are what is called prefixes. This means that they specify how many times you should multiply by ten in relation to the base unit. 1 decimeter is 1/10 meters and 1 km is 1 * 1000
You can find a list what a specific prefix entails on this wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix(3 votes)
What I want to do in this video is convert this amount of kilometers into meters and centimeters. So we'll first start with the 2 kilometers. And I encourage you to now pause this video and try to do this on your own. Well, the one thing that we know is that a kilometer literally means 1,000 meters. So you could literally view this is as 2 times 1,000 meters. Let me write that down. So this is going to be equal to 2 times 1,000 meters, which is equal to 2,000 meters. If we wanted to convert the 11 kilometers into meters, it's the same thing. 11 kilometers-- this right over here-- means 1,000 meters. So you could think of it as 11 times 1,000 meters. So 11 times 1,000 is going to be 11,000 meters. Now let's convert these distances into centimeters. And here we just have to remember that 1 meter is equal to 100 centimeters. Let me write that down. 1 meter is equal to 100 centimeters. And that's because the prefix centi means one hundredth. Another way you can write it is that one centimeter is equal to one hundredth of a meter. But here we have a certain number of meters, and each of those meters are going to be equivalent to 100 centimeters. So if we wanted to write 2,000 meters as centimeters, we could say, well, we have 2,000 meters. Each of those are going to be equivalent to 100 centimeters. And so this is going to be equal to 2,000 times 100. Well, that's going to be 2, and since where we have the three zeroes from the 2,000. And then every time you multiply by 10, you're going to add another zero. Or you're going to have another zero at the end of it. And we're going to be at multiplying by 100 is equivalent to multiplying by 10 twice. So we're going to have two more zeroes. So this is going to be 200,000 centimeters. Now let's do the same thing right over here with the kilometers, the 11 kilometers, which are 11,000 meters. And once again, I encourage you to pause the video and try to convert it into centimeters. Well, same idea. You have 11,000 meters, and each of them are equivalent to 100 centimeters. So this is going to be 11, and let's see, we have one, two, three, four, five zeroes. So this gets us to 1,100,000 centimeters.