4th grade (2018 edition)
- Comparing with multiplication
- Comparing with multiplication and addition: giraffe
- Comparing with multiplication and addition: money
- Comparing with multiplication: age
- Comparing with multiplication: magic
- Compare with multiplication
- Compare with multiplication word problems
Sal solves a multiplication comparison word problem with Harry Potter characters. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- At2:00. What a difficult lenguaje. I'm from Catalonia and I'm losed. Can enybody explain what is he expleining?(10 votes)
- Ferran, el senor pregunta que si Hermione puede levantar un plumaje de aves Treinta y Cinco pies en el aire, y lo levanta Cinco veces mas alto de lo que Ron lo levanta, cuanto mas lo levanta? Bueno la respuesta seria 7, porque cinco multiplcado por siete es treinta y cinco. Buena suerte Ferran con sus estudios.(7 votes)
- can't we say 5 times 7 = 35(9 votes)
- oh my gosh this can be explaned so simply but they make it sound complocated.and WHAT MaGiC??(7 votes)
- why did you say the same word twice(5 votes)
- can someone explain why they did it in a harder and longer way then just doing it quick and easy you could have just done 7x5 and you would get 35 and you know it would be 7(7 votes)
Ron and Hermione are practicing lifting feathers into the air with magic. Hermione can lift a feather 35 feet into the air, which is 5 times as high as Ron can lift a feather. How high can Ron lift a feather with his magic? So Hermione, this 35 feet is 5 times more than Ron. So to figure out what Ron can do, we just take what Hermione can do and divide by 5. So what's 35 divided by 5? Well, 5 times 7 is 35. So 35 divided by 5 is 7. So Ron can lift a feather 7 feet in the air. So let's check our answer. Now, if you have trouble with this-- and we could also look at the hints for this. So they show that Hermione can lift a feather 35 feet, which is 5 times higher than Ron. So this could be the length of how high Ron can raise it. And so, if you were to actually divide 35 into 5 equal sections, so 5 times question mark is 35, that's the same thing as saying 35 divided by 5 is question mark. And 35 divided by 5 is indeed 7.