5th grade (2018 edition)
- Volume of a rectangular prism
- Volume of rectangular prisms
- Volume in unit cubes by decomposing shape
- Volume through decomposition
- Decompose figures to find volume practice
- Decompose figures to find volume (unit cubes)
- Decompose figures to find volume
- Volume word problem: water tank
- Volume word problems
- Volume of rectangular prisms review
If you want to know how much stuff you can cram into a box, finding its volume is key. To calculate the volume of a box, you need to know its height, width, and depth. You can find the volume by multiplying these three dimensions together. This formula works regardless of the units you are using (e.g. meters, feet), he method is the same - just make sure your units match up! Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- help me i don't get this at all an i have a test tomorrow!(9 votes)
- Volume for cubes and rectangular prisms are just
Volume = Length * Width * Height.
All you need to do now is plug the numbers in and use the right units.
If I have a box and it's 8in x 2 in x 9 in I'd do
8*2*9 = 144, but what units do I use?
My units were all in inches and because I did in*in*in my units are in^3.
It's the same for any unit of volume it's all __ ^3.(12 votes)
- I'm confused, will someone explain how to do this plz?(9 votes)
- Volume is easy. For example:
Height: 5 in.
Width: 5 in.
Length: 5 in.
You can multiply length by width or width by length. If you do length by width you will get 25 and the height is 5 so multiply 25x5=125 so the volume is 125 cubic inches. Hope it helps!(4 votes)
- At0:10, He said that it was in meters, but how could it be converted to another measurement type?(10 votes)
- Hello another way of doing this problem is by doing it in Cubic Centimetres. 1 cubic meter is equal to one million cubic centimeters. By using this way the new shape would be length: 8million cubic centimeters. Width: 7 million cubic centimeters. Height: 6 million cubic centimeters.
Hope this helps.(2 votes)
- I'm very confused because looking back at my work, I only have two identified sides (technically). I have the width and the base area which is confusing because the base area says that it's measured in units squared, so do I divide the base area by two then multiply the width by the base area by the base area? or no?(4 votes)
- The video tells you the formula is:
Volume = Length (Width) (Height)
If you multiply any 2 of these measurements, you get the area of one side (comparable to your base). Once you multiply the the 3rd measurement, you get the volume
So, in your situation, someone as already multiplied 2 of the dimensions for you since you were given the area of the base. You just need to multiply your 2 numbers to get the volume.
Hope this helps.(5 votes)
- How can I understand this better?(4 votes)
- Hi Ciamaris!
It's simple- you need to multiply the 3 dimensions- the length, height and the width!
Hope this helps!
- FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DID NOT UNDERSTAND THIS VIDEO AND NEED A EASIER VERSION:
All you have to do is multiply all the sides, lets say the sides are 2in, 5in, 10in then all you have to do is 2X5X10 and thats it easy peasy
(i might be totally wrong lol pls tell me if i am)(5 votes)
- help i don't understand it💚💛(4 votes)
- Pls upvote for meh thx(5 votes)
- Why would the first answer be 336 m3 instead of 336 m2?(1 vote)
- The first answer is 336 m3 instead of 336m2 because a rectangular prism is not flat and 2 dimensional, it is 3 dimensional it takes up space, think of it as a box. A box is not flat, rather it is three dimensional it takes up space. Compared to a flat rectangle it has volume.(3 votes)
What is the volume of this box? Drag on the box to rotate it. So this is pretty neat. We can actually sit and rotate this box. And here it looks like everything's being measured in meters. So we want to measure our volume in terms of cubic meters. That's going to be our unit cube here. So when we want to think about how many cubic meters could fit in this box, we've already seen examples. You really just have to multiply the three different dimensions of this box. So if you wanted the number of cubic meters that could fit in here, it's going to be six meters times 8 meters times 7 meters which is going to give you something in cubic meters. So let's think about what that is. 6 times 8 is 48. Let me see if I can do this in my head. 48 times 7, that's 40 times 7, which is going to be 280 plus 8 times 7, which is 56, 280 plus 56 is going to be 336. Let's check our answer. Let's do one more of these. So what's the volume of this box? We'll once again, we have its height at six feet. Now everything is being measured in feet. We have it's width being four feet. So we could multiple the height times the width of four feet. And then we can multiply that times its depth of two feet. So 6 times 4 is 24 times 2 is 48 feet. 48, and I should say cubic feet. We're saying how many cubic feet can fit in here? When we multiply the various dimensions measured in feet, we're counting almost how many of those cubic feet can fit into this box.