Build intuition behind memorizing the decimal form of common fractions like that 1/2 equals 0.5 or 3/4 equals 0.75.
Some fractions are so common that it's worth memorizing the decimal form. Here are a few of the most common fractions and their decimal forms:
Sweet. Now that we know these three common fractions, let's use them to convert other fractions to decimals and decimals to fractions.
Practice 1: Converting from fractions to decimals
Convert the following fractions to decimals. Don't use a calculator! The goal is to be able to figure these out quickly in your head.
Want to join the conversation?
- How can you tell what decimal is what fraction(329 votes)
- A decimal can be recognized by looking at what place the digit is to the right of the decimal point. I'll use 0.4 as an example. The four is in the tenths place, meaning the four would be placed above a ten: 4/10. When it's simplified, it's 2/5. This is that decimal expressed as a fraction.
The same is for 0.05. The five is now in the hundredths place, meaning there is a hundred below the five: 5/100. When simplified, it's 1/20.(258 votes)
- What if the fraction or decimal is harder?(116 votes)
- are decimal related to fraction??(43 votes)
- yes, decimals and fractions are related to each other, like you would call 0.3 as "three tenths", which is a fraction.(17 votes)
- Who came up with math?(13 votes)
- what type of pepole decided that math was a good idea?! like i know that we use it every day BUT MATH IS HARD:((18 votes)
- what are some decimals i need to memorize(8 votes)
- Working through the practice problems should give you a set of common fractions and decimals. Here are a few you should understand or at least memorize:
Fraction >>> Decimal
1/10 >>> 0.1
1/4 >>> 0.25
1/3 >>> 0.34 (or 0.3333333 repeating 3)
1/2 >>> 0.5(23 votes)
- bro people can cheat with the solution chart(14 votes)
- How to convert a fraction into a decimal?(6 votes)
- I would suggest practicing with money. If you have 1/2 dollar, how would you write that $0.50. There, you've just converted a fraction into a decimal. Now try it with a quarter (1/4) and a dime (1/10). Then try 37 cents (37/100 of a dollar).(18 votes)
- How can you memorize the conversions w/ decimals and fractions(10 votes)
- There is nothing to memorize, with a decimal put it over a hundred and simplify to convert to a fraction. And to get a fraction to a decimal divide the numerator by the denominator (divide the number on the top of the fraction by the one on the bottom).(6 votes)
- How can you memorize how to turn decimals to a fraction and fraction to a decimal(5 votes)
- The best way to memorize is to practice it often; the more you practice the better you'll memorize it.(11 votes)