Want to join the conversation?
- can any one help me with remembering what tri and uni and octi quad and hex and other things like that?(2 votes)
- Can someone help with remembering the names for 123456789?(9 votes)
- do you mean the prefixes? Here:
1 uni/mono - think about unicorns or monloges
2 bi - think about bicycles
3 tri - tricycles
4 tetra - if you play tetris, you'll know it!
5 penta - sorry, I don't really have one for this...
6 hexa - just remember that if it starts with a 'h', it's either 6 or 7. And since 'hexa' contains the letter 'x', you know it is six. Seven is simply the other one :)
7 hepta - refer to above
8 octo - octopus
9 nona - sounds like nine, doesn't it?
10 deca - decade.
Hope this helps!!(2 votes)
- How do they come up with the names of the shapes?(11 votes)
- Many of the shape names depend on how many sides the shape has. The prefixes, such as quad-, penta-, hexa-, come from greek numbers to show the number of sides.(3 votes)
- why are shapes that four sides named Quadrilatral?.(5 votes)
- A quadrilateral is a four sided shape. The root quad stands for 4. A rectangle is a quadrilateral and so is a square, a kite is also a quadrilateral because all of them have 4 sides.(7 votes)
- is it possible to have a quadrilateral with more or less than 4 corners?(3 votes)
- I agree with all of you guys and for the person who asked the question quadrilateral contains of shapes like rectangle , square, rhombus, trapezoid and many more others. You can check it out in Google and understand more. This not just for the person who asked but for everyone who did not understand because in Khanacademey we are here to help each other as friends and families. You are all bright and i am happy to help my friends and family.(5 votes)
- What Sal mean " these will cross the other opposite side " when he explain trapezoids ?(2 votes)
- He means that those two line segments are not parallel. If you were to lengthen them, eventually they would intercept each other, or cross, as Sal says.(12 votes)
- Getting into the origin of words, triangle means 3(tri) angles.
Similarly in quadrilateral, the quad is supposed to mean 4, but what is lateral supposed to mean here?
And what about circle? Why is the shape called a circle?(7 votes)
- Hi Elisabeth! That's a great, intuitive question!
Lateral in this sense means a shape that has straight sides that are part of the same geometric object. The "quad" in quadrilateral means it's a shape that has four of them.
It is very cool that you are so puzzled about the nefarious circle! Humanity spent many, MANY years trying to understand a circle. A circle is an object with infinite sides, called a curve.
Hope this helps!(9 votes)
- I get that we kinda need shapes, but why do we really need shapes ,and where do shapes come from?(2 votes)
- Without shapes, nothing in this world would ever exist like rectangular buildings or cylindrical pencils everything will be just random blobs(16 votes)
- what do you call a shape with a hundred sides?(2 votes)
- A hundred-sided polygon is called a hectogon.
The word hectogon is a combination of the following Greek roots:
- hecto = 100
- gon = side
A thousand-sided polygon is called a chiliagon. This word is derived from the Greek word "chilioi", meaning 1000. (Our prefix kilo also comes from the root "chilioi".)
Hope this helps!(12 votes)
- Are the diagonal lines on the trapezoid parrallel?(6 votes)
- Hello Adi Setty 🙌
Here is your answer :-
A trapezoid looks somewhat like this:-
A trapezoid has exactly 1 pair of parallel lines. The Diagonal Lines of a Trapezoid are not parallel rather than they are congruent!
Parallel meaning 2 lines of the same distance between them for all their length, for example :- ║
those two lines are parallel.
So therefore the DIAGONAL lines of a trapezoid are not parallel they are congruent!!
Hope this answer helped you!😊
Stay safe🏠 Stay sweet🧁 Stay Happy😎(6 votes)
I have a bunch of shapes here, let's think about what they are so this first shape here, you probably recognize it is the shape of the moon in the sky or atleast on a full moon and we call it a circle. Now what makes it a circle when you get further in math we come up with fancier ways to define a circle but one with think about it is if we take the center the circle and if we go from one side of the circle to the other side circle through the center that's always going to be the same length so that's the same length as is this as this is on his way to the center the circle as that now if that the circle what would something like this to be what you might call this an oval. all circles are ovals but this oval is not a circle because if you have its center see right over there this distance going in that direction is going to be much shorter or just shorter than this distance right over here so this one right over here is not a circle, this one is. Now what about the shape over here that has three sides one two three you could also say it has three corners one two three if you have three sides we call that a triangle Tri angle whenever you see this Tri over hear that's a good sign that you're dealing with the number three. This is a triangle has three sides note about these shapes over here these shapes are interesting how many shapes. So how many sides do these shapes have. Well if you count them you see that this one up here in purple has one two three four sides this one has one two three four sides, this has one two three four sides, this has one two three four sides. So they all have four sides. So a name for any shape that has four sides is quadrilateral Quad dri quadrilateral quadrilateral and when you see this quad at the beginning of the word it's a pretty good sign that you're dealing with the number four four sides, four sides that's what quadrilateral means but these are all different special cases of quadrilaterals and actually you could even have a quadrilateral that looks like this, could even have a quadrilateral that look like this. One two three four sides as long as as four sides it's a quadrilateral Let's think about each of these so this shape right over here what you might see is the corners the corners all come in, sometimes is called square sometimes you could call it a right angle so and notice I could put little small squares here. SO if all four corners are square or they're all come in at a right angle like this then you're dealing with a rectangle you are dealing with the rectangle and so just to be clear this down here is not a rectangle notice this corner right over if I tried to pull all square here it would either look like this or doesn't it doesn't the two sides aren't two sides of a square or would look like or it would look like this so this is not a square corner neither it is this or neither is this so this is not a rectangle all four corners need to be square this one also is not a rectangle notice the corners are not the corners are not right angles so this is a direct rectangle this is a direct rectangle and what about this well I can do that I can put little squares I could put all squares in the corner or I could see that they are all right all the corners are right angles so this actually is a rectangle as well so these are both these are both rectangles now you might recognize this purple one on the left is a special type a rectangle not only are all the corners square not all do they have these right angles but all the sides are the same length at least it looks like it from the picture this side is the same length as this side is the same length as that side same length as that side. So if the sides are of same length and all the corners are square where they have right angles, then we call it a square so this right over here is a, this right over here is a square special type a rectangle this one not all the side to the same this one all the sides are the same out if we go down here looks like all the sides are the same one two three four but it doesn't have square corners. Notice if I tried to put a little square here it wouldn't fit perfectly, if I tried square here doesn't fit perfectly these aren't right angles So if all four sides are the same and that's all we know about it we call it a rhombus. We call it a rhombus so you might be saying, the square all four sides are the same, is that a rhombus? yes it is. So the square is a rectangle it's a rectangle and is a rhombus so this last shape here this last quadrilateral what's interesting about it is you have two of the side's going in the same direction so this one right over here knows what I mean by the same direction it sometimes is called parallel if I draw two lines here these two lines are never going to cross each other so these two lines are parallel if you have opposite one pair of opposite sides that are parallel we call them trapezoids we call them trapezoids. Notice the other blinds the other opposite sides these will cross, these will cross eventually to that right over there is called a trapezoid.