Frequently asked questions about measurement.
Why do we need to learn about different units of measurement?
It's important to understand the different units of measurement so we can communicate with each other about sizes and distances. Different parts of the world use different systems of measurement. For example, the United States mostly uses the imperial system, while most other countries use the metric system. Knowing both systems will help us communicate with people from all over the world.
What are some common units of measurement for length?
The metric system uses units like centimeters and meters, while the imperial system uses units like inches and feet.
|Centimeter||About how wide a fingernail is|
|Meter||About how long a guitar is|
|Inch||About how long a quarter is|
|Foot||About how long an adult shoe is|
How do we measure length?
We use tools like rulers, tape measures, and yardsticks to measure length. These tools usually have markings that show the different units of measurement.
Where do we use these measurement skills in the real world?
We use measurement skills all the time! Here are just a few examples: when we're buying furniture and need to make sure it will fit in a space, when we're doing a science experiment and need to measure the length of something, or when we're baking and need to measure the ingredients.
Want to join the conversation?
- why do we need a skill like measurement skill?(4 votes)
- We use measurement skills all the time! Here are just a few examples: when we're buying furniture and need to make sure it will fit in a space, when we're doing a science experiment and need to measure the length of something, or when we're baking and need to measure the ingredients. (Copied from above xD)(3 votes)
- what is a inch(4 votes)
- I am from Brazil and I'm familiar with the metric system. What advantages do I have if I learn the imperial system?(1 vote)
- The imperial system is used in America, Myanmar, and Liberia, so only a few places use it, but it can help you understand those measurements if you go to any of those places.(2 votes)
- how long is 1 ft in centimeters?(2 votes)
- how many cm makes a inch?(1 vote)
- It used to be called the U.S. system. Why is it now being called the "imperial" system?(2 votes)
- This change was made to more accurately indicate the system's origin. The imperial system got its name because it actually came from the U.K., which once ruled much of the world through imperialism.(0 votes)