Review the size of millimeters, centimeters, meters, and kilometers and how to convert between them. Then, try some practice problems.
Summary of metric units of distance
What is distance?
Distance measures length. For example, the distance of a road is how long the road is.
In the metric system of measurement, the most common units of distance are millimeters, centimeters, meters, and kilometers.
How big are metric units of distance?
A paper clip is about millimeter thick.
A fingernail is about centimeter wide.
The length of a guitar is about meter.
A kilometer is equal to meters. It is a little over half of a mile.
Want to learn more about metric units of distance? Check out this video.
Practice set 1: Estimating distance
Identify the most reasonable unit to measure the distance from New York to California.
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise.
Converting larger units to smaller units
To convert larger units to smaller units we multiply the number of larger units by the green conversion factor for the appropriate smaller units.
Example: Converting meters to centimeters:
Converting smaller units to larger units
To convert smaller units to larger units we divide the number of smaller units by the purple conversion factor for the appropriate larger units.
Example: Converting meters to kilometers:
Want to learn more about converting between metric units of distance? Check out this video.
Want to join the conversation?
- What about micrometers?(32 votes)
- I have one tree that is 4 meters tall a second tree that is 3 m tall how many centimeters taller is the first tree(9 votes)
- I get messed up with km to mm.(6 votes)
- Converting from km to m requires multiplying by 1,000, because there are 1,000 m in one km.
Converting m to mm requires multiplying by 1,000, because there are 1,000 mm in one m.
It follows from these two facts that converting from km to mm requires multiplying by 1,000*1,000=1,000,000.
Have a blessed, wonderful day!(20 votes)
- How many millimeters are in 5 meters?(8 votes)
- Does anyone know how long 1 meter = ----- kilometer and how long 1 kilometer = -----meter(8 votes)
- The prefix 'kilo' means 1000, so there are 1000 meters for every kilometer and there are 0.001 kilometers for every meter.(6 votes)
- Is there more measurements than just this?(8 votes)
- How many kilometers in a mile?(6 votes)
- Is there such thing as a decimeter?(4 votes)
- Yes! A decimeter is 1/10 of a meter. This also means a decimeter is 10 centimeters, and a decimeter is 100 millimeters.(7 votes)
- What about kilometers to miles ?(4 votes)
- Good question!
To convert from kilometers to miles, divide by 1.609344. For approximate calculations, dividing by 1.6 is good.
Have a blessed, wonderful day!(5 votes)